Thursday, July 06, 2006

Happy-Worried!

So I had a second interview with two more of my top 3 prospective employer's. The front runner has quickly become the back-burner due to the SUPER slow development of their positions. The other two are almost the exact same on timing with the out of town situation moving more quickly. I have to say that in every case the salary discussions have been on par with what I expected. Nothing huge, considering the fact that most of these jobs would be the equivalent of a lateral move. Don't get me wrong each one would be a slight increase but all-in-all it started looking like I am already in the standard range for someone with my years of experience and level of education. Until now...

I had lunch with one of the local opportunities and I innocently asked about range. He quoted a range that I certainly did not expect. It got me wondering about all these other places and if they were low-balling me. In every case I have had to submit my salary requirements up front. Surprisingly, each place has come back with a range that is only slightly higher than my current situation. As luck would have it I was not asked about my requirements by this latest organization and it is the one that blows the top off of my expectations. Perhaps it is as simple as that. Perhaps the requirement to give your salary expectation/current situation up-front is nothing more than a simply ploy to only offer their candidates the minimum.

Or is there something else going on? I am beginning to worry that this new situation may want a little more than their standard pound of flesh. I'm not in big-business so I don't expect the big paycheck. But I also don't expect the crazy hours, horrible travel, and cut-throat lifestyle that goes along with big-business. I'm in a kinder-gentler profession and historically speaking my compensation has reflected that. For the first time I'm wondering if this potential opportunity will demand more than I am willing to give. I haven't started the formal process yet and I'll have plenty of opportunity to learn about expectations. I will not have to accept something on blind faith... I just really WANT it to be a good situation and I afraid of being disappointed in what the demands of the job would be.

4 comments:

Q said...

Take it from me, not having to do anything regularly is worth millions. That is THE only good thing about my job.

Dagromm said...

It's hard to say, what the other organizations that you've been talking to have as far as a philosophy when extending offers. Normally, I'd say that if they are asking your expectations up front then they just want to know that you're in the ball park before they start talking to you. No point in getting far along with someone that you can't afford. At the same time if they are positions that you'd really only want to consider for a significant bump in salary, because of relocation, etc. then be up front with that and ask for more to begin with. It really depends on how patient you can afford to be. I look at it like the guy that always only asks the best looking girls out. There may not be anything special about the guy, but some of the girls are still going to say yes because he wasn't afraid to ask...and maybe they have low self esteem (which is the jackpot).

Nate said...

That's a tough one. I always start my interactions with prospective employees by letting them know our salary range. Its non-negotiable, and everyone starts on the same package.

I do that so that I don't have to waste my time if my "less than market rate" salary can't meet their needs.

That said, we do offer such a great place to work, some of my staff dropped 90k a year jobs to work here for 38.

A great place to work is a wonderful thing.

Cyber D said...

Yes. There must be a balance between work and private life. I think it is very important and it runs counter to achievement in the workplace... at least financial achievement. It is a delicate balance that I have difficulty with.

But I'd rather be paid twice as much with a challenging - albiet difficult job than half as much in a challenging and hellish job.