Monday, July 24, 2006

Old Friends - Good Times

So Gyuss came into town this weekend for a visit. Dagromm and I don't have much free time but when an old college buddy comes through town it's kind of like the "get out of jail free" card in monopoly. Whatever is going on in our lives, we are allowed to drop it and hang-out for the duration of Gyuss' visit. Hmmmm, perhaps "get out of jail free" isn't exactly the analogy I was going for, but you get the idea. The Q is always up for a little gaming fun so we could count on him to drive into the metroplex and he did. The big surprise was another old college buddy, hearing that Gyuss was flying in, decided to come up for the weekend as well. For lack of an alias, I'll call him Thrud.

Thrud, Gyuss, Dagromm, and I haven't all been in the same place at the same time in probably seven years, so the weekend approached with much anticipation. With these once-a-decade type gatherings, your eyes can be bigger than your stomach. You want to recreate the old days and do as many of the different activities that you used to do. But more often than not, you can never quite squeeze all the fun out of the weekend and time gets away from you. For some reason, this visit proved to be everything we had hoped it could be... or at least I had hoped it could be. I do think we could fill up ten weekends full of fun if we had it, but I do believe everyone enjoyed themselves and captured a bit of that old magic that has given us such fond memories over the years.



True to form, Q fit right in, as if he was right there with us during our college years. Dagromm made great ribs, and Gyuss brought along a great new game. And the simple fact that Thrud was in the house made the weekend complete. Game playing, trash talking, and junk food eating was the order of the day.



What was truly the biggest surprise to me was that my son (who is turning two years old this September) was a very well behaved boy. My wife works on Saturdays so a large portion of the day was spent with him playing with Dagromm's older kids. I didn't think it was going to go well, since he has historically been very clingy to his parents when he is in a new place. It was not the case. My son was running around the house having a great time, which meant that I was able to hang out and have a great time.

Too bad those gatherings cant' happen more often. I think Blogger has been truly great for us, since it has allowed us to recreate some of that on an ongoing basis. In fact, (if I'm not mistaken) our new blogs may have been the impetus for the visit in the first place. So thank you blogger, thank you very much. Now all we need to do is get Thrud on-line.

2 comments:

Nate said...

Dag that was an awesome Saturday!

I'm still in transit, so I'll blog on it later, but a great time certainly was had by all.

Dagromm said...

I have returned to the Blog world. i now have a high speed hook up at my house so I expect that I will have more patience for trying to post once again. I personally had a great time and wish i could say with certainty that it will happen every year, but I've had too many dashed dreams to believe that. Still, I can hope.