Friday, December 01, 2006

Mr. Frost or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Ice


Why can people in Texas not drive on ice and snow? Perhaps it isn't Texas. Perhaps it is people raised in the big city that are stupid in this case. I know it isn't southerners. I learned to drive growing up in the foothills of the Ozark Mountains and I can drive on ice and snow just fine without tire-chains or anything.

Don't get me wrong. I don't think I can scale the Rockies in a Ford Hatchback, but one should be able to navigate a level street for a couple of miles with a few icy patches here and there. Seriously! Watching the news last night, you'd have thought that the second ice age came to the Metroplex. People of the press, you really don't help those worry-warts feel any better about a scattered sleet.

I'll admit that my city doesn't help the stupid city driver very much. We don't put salt on the road for some reason down here. We put sand. That doesn't help to melt ice or make roadways less treacherous. It just helps your car get dirty.

Bottom line: If you just use a little common sense, drive a little slower than your usual 90 miles an hour, don't slam on the breaks when you skid, and keep your wheel straight... you'll do just fine. It also helps when people driving four-wheel tanks don't think they are invincible. I'm here to tell you that it doesn't matter if you weigh 20 tons, your wheels will still slide on ice. Mother Nature is a bitch like that. But stupid people will not stop being stupid so you have to watch out for yourself on the street.

So why don't we all strike a healthy balance between indestructible carelessness and angst-ridden petrification.

13 comments:

Dagromm said...

I disagree. If there's any ice people should stay home and not be expected to leave for anything!!! Especially not for work.

Q said...

I agree with both of you on certain points. I got to leave work early yesterday and that was awesome! But in driving home I learned that people are just scared when they are driving and it is sleeting. The temperature was 80 degrees on Wednesday, the roads were fine because unless you hit an over pass you could rest assured that the roads were not that bad. To compensate for Texas weather I drive with snow chains on my tires year round...you know just in case.

Nate said...

The best car I've ever driven in slippery conditions was my dad's Buick LeSabre. 4 wheel drive be damned. The automatic skid control was almost enough for me to go out and buy an old man car for myself.

Dagromm said...

The best one I've driven was the Chevy Metro. It's so light that it doesn't been much traction.

Cyber D said...

Getting off of work is cool but sometimes its a beating when you have a great deal to do at work and some people think all meetings should be canceled because of a little flurries

Dagromm said...

Doing what at work???? Cyberfriend you really shouldn't do that. Especially at an institute of higher learning.

Q said...

hehe

Nate said...

This is a great blog!

I never would have found it if it wasn't for the link on House of Dagromm. House of Dagromm is awesome! I go there every day.

I'll make a point of clicking through occasionally to the Wheel.

Q said...

See this one I can believe because Dagromm updates his blog more frequently, unlike CyberD : (

Cyber D said...

bite me!

Q said...

Gladly

Q said...

I am sorry CyberD...I love you...Are you there?

Cyber D said...

Love you too, Q. I'm around.