Monday, December 11, 2006

To wait or not to wait...

Like many married couples we alternate years we spend December 25th celebrating Christmas between her family and mine. Since this was the off year, my family had the bright idea of getting together this weekend. Good times were had by all and I managed to score the dvd of the third x-men film. Unlike Dags, I enjoyed this movie and was glad to complete my collection, if for no other reason than to just complete the collection. However, it got me thinking about the content of one's DVD library. You see I've now got the third x-men film and I have yet to purchase single Harry Potter movie.

Of course one man's trash is another man's treasure, so I'll not debate the merits of X-Men 3 the Last Stand, but it does beg the question why I don't have far suprerior movies in my library. For me, I think it is worth while to wait for a movie series to come out in a multi-pack but it has come down to my level of patience and my knowledge of the movie's plans for a sequal. When X-Men came out I thought it was genius and I had no knowledge of planned sequels, so when it arrived on DVD, I snatched it up. It therefore predicated my purchasing the remaining DVDs individually as I am completely against owning multiple copies of movies.

In a different situation, Harry Potter is an even better movie franchise of which I don't own a single installment. Mainly because I assumed/knew that they would make all seven books into films and I assume/know that there will be some jumbo pack that probably has some cool special feature. So I will have patiently waited for an entire decade before owning a single Potter film.

To add one more wrinkle to the mix, what if you really can't stand certain installments of a series and don't want the entire collection? Does that make your video library incomplete or a movie purist? I own the first two Superman movies and will probably never own an others.

I'm a fan of Pirates and have already purchased the first one, I guess that means I should go ahead and buy the next one, even though I'm sure there will be a three pack.

I loved the 1st Spider Man movie but just before I was about to purchase I learned of the sequals. I still don't own the first two. Am I wasting time not purchasing movies when I want them or is there value in the multi-pack?

The world may never know!

8 comments:

Dagromm said...

By the time you will be prepared to buy them they will already be obsolete. We will download all movies we want and never have to give up valuable shelf space again. So if you are ever going to get around to buying them then I'd say go ahead and get them. Ask yourself first though why you really want them. Is it to complete a collection or because you anticipate hours of enjoyment?

Nate said...

why buy, when Netflix sends the discs handily to you, and they can then be nicely transferred to your own hard drive?

oh, wait, I mean, don't do that! its wrong!

I would like to add the new Pirates stunk. I loved the first one, and could barely make it through the second one without ejecting it from my DVD player

Cyber D said...

The first thing that has to happen when I'm considering a dvd purchase is my level of enjoyment. I should have said that my choices on buying Potter piece-meal or in bulk assumes that it will be because of the hours of enjoyment. Ultimately I've chosen not to buy an entire series because the majority of the movies are bad. Case in point: The Matrix was fun and worth owning but the other two blow. I'll probably still buy the first one eventually but right now I still own none. However, I will admit that the collector in me really has a hard time buying sporadically in a series. If the 1st and 3rd Superman movies were the best (and they told a continuous story) I probably wouldn't own any.

Nate said...

On Saturday I watched the first three Rocky movies in order. They've held up well.

Q said...

I didn't know that they made a sequal to Pirates

Cyber D said...

I'm really afraid to hit that link and I recommend that all visitors to The Wheel avoid Q's link.

Q said...

Whatever there is nothing objectionable on the first page. It just tells you about all of the awards that this epic masterpiece has garnered.

Dagromm said...

OMG!!! Not safe for work! Not safe for work!!!!