Friday, July 27, 2007

The Mind of Man - Part 2

This is an excerpt of an email my old college friend, Braveheart sent to me yesterday. Braveheart and I have known each other for more than a decade and while we only talk three or four times a year it is amazing that we have almost identical taste in television and perhaps viewpoints on the meaning of life.



"...A few years ago I'd been on call for 3 or 4 days. I ended up working like 100 hours that 7 days prior or something crazy. Hadn't been home in 3 days. I finally came home, nothing to do for the next 2 days straight, and my wife was out of town for the weekend. So I sit down on my couch, wiped out, I turn on the TiVo, and there before me (because I hadn't watched TV in 10 days or so) sat recorded new episodes that I hadn't seen of the Sopranos, Carnivale, Deadwood, South Park, maybe a Venture Brothers, the Simpsons, a BSG, a Firefly that I missed the first time around, and the Family Guy. Plus there was even a second tier of stuff, like some History Channel's greatest disasters, Mythbusters maybe, or some other stuff.

I turn off the TV without starting any of them, go upstairs and sleep for 12 or so hours straight. Wake up around 3PM. Go out and buy a 6 pack of Guinness, a big ass bucket of KFC, and Ben+Jerry's. Came home, sat on the couch, with the above mentioned items, a trash can, and a roll of paper towels. Turned on the TV and . . . . People always say that your wedding is the best day of your life until your kids are born, and then that day is the best day of your life. I love my wife, and I'm sure I'll love any kids I have, but honestly? When I lay alone at night, between me and my maker, those next hours were . . . Yeah."



The best day of a man's life... Indeed.

15 comments:

Dagromm said...

I think Q said he hated this guy, but it looks like they live almost identical lives.

Q said...

We certainly do. That is why everyday I wake up is the best day of my life.

heather said...

i get braveheart completely. one of these days i'll have the house to myself and will be able to resist the urge to guilt myself into cleaning up after the two slobs i live with. maybe i'll send cheeks and j off camping by themselves for the first three days of my vacation.....

day 1, clean
day 2, sleep
day 3, hello chic flicks!

Cyber D said...

Dags, aside from the medical degree, the job at a hospital, the wife, and the mortgage, Braveheart and Q are exactly alike!

Q, Whoopdie-Fucking-Do for you!

heater, I think the main difference between men and women is that we skip day 1 and go straight to day 3 (day 2 being optional).

Steph said...

Ah men. Such simple creatures, bless your cold hearts ;)

Nate said...

That is a dream day.

I think today came in a close 2nd.

Woke up. Wife made me go to the game store as soon as it opened. SHE bought two brand new Wii games, and then forced me to play these games with her all day.

Then she cooked an awesome dinner. I'm quite happy right now.

Tera said...

Gyuss, you must really put it down!

You men and your TV's tsk, tsk, tsk...I didn't see any mention of Lifetime in all this conversation either. Hmph!

Cyber D said...

steph, nice to know that some females understand that we are in fact, simple creatures and not these complex contradictory enigmas that some women make us out to be.

Gyuss, did you get a happy ending?

tera, I'm not even sure I Lifetime is programmed on my channel guide... no, in fact I'm sure it isn't. No offense?

Nate said...

Cyber, I had a home cooked meal. Is there something more in married life?

What is this "Lifetime" channel Tera speaks of? I think I pay extra every month to keep that and Faux News off my cable package.

Cyber D said...

Cyber, according to my wife? No. that's about it.

I think Lifetime has something to do with shows based on true stories about husbands who initially act like the perfect partner only to have the wife find out they are murderous, cheating, lying, polygamy loving, hateful, (did I mention cheating?) bastards!

Q said...

CyberD, did you just answer yourself?

Tera said...

Cyber...what you have mentioned about Lifetime is only a part of it, please use less bias next time.

LMAO @ Cyber answering himself!!!

Cyber D said...

Q, answer myself what? I don't get it.

tera, pardon the bias... I'm sure there is more to it.

Q said...

But you love being biased CyberD. How could you abandon it like that?

Cyber D said...

I'm not abandoning my bias, just asking tera to pardon it. Big difference, little Q.