Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Throw-Back Fun Times!

So I just finished watching Tenacious D and The Pick of Destiny. I put it off for several months because Q told me it sucked. I hated to hear that because I introduced the marvelous lyrical musings of JB and KG to The Quad a few years ago. The first album will always rock in infamy for us. It will be forever hard to dethrone that monster record. But I have to say The Pick of Destiny really wasn't terrible. And a couple of the new songs are pretty damn good. But here is a little golden nugget of knowledge for those that are open to enlightenment. The director is a man named Liam Lynch who also happens to be the genius behind the one-off hit: My United States of Whatever as well as a very brief but extremely genius TV show.

Back in the fall of 1998, when Dagromm and I were still living in the same small Texas town, we started getting together for a morning jog. You might call it the slim-down challenge that sparked a national trend. Around that same time we had both begun watching a new late-night comedy called Sifl & Olly. The wacky off-beat humor, performed masterfully by a cornucopia of creative and crazy sock puppet characters had us both laughing our asses off all threw our morning jog the next day. It was good times back then but unfortunately stupid-ass TV executives couldn't see genius even if it jumped up and bit them in the wrinkle stick! The show was canceled. Long live Sifl & Olly!

11 comments:

Nate said...

Cyber, why are you so puppetish?

Q said...

Dude, did you ever borrow my Camp Sunny Side Up CD? It was the guys that wrote and acted in Sifl and Olly I think I let Dagromm borrow it way back when but I am not sure you ever got to enjoy it's wacky goodness. I love you CyberD...

Cyber D said...

Gus, you can take an nose dive onto my red rocket, thank you very much!

Q, I haven't heard your CD, but I love you too... and see above comment!

Susan said...

Are you guys having another man love day?

Nate said...

Susan, only because it makes you hot.

Susan said...

gyuss: You know me too well.

heather said...

kiddo, didn't you know that ~every~ day is man love day at the quad?

-Papa said...

I heard the real reason the show got canceled was due to Olly going into the dryer and never coming out.

Tera said...

To hell with all that, Gyuss, when the hell did you switch your manliness aka your avatar???

heather said...

(he switched about a week or so ago.)

Steph said...

I love Tenacious D. Haven't seen the latest yet, but will do so first chance.