Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Children's Television Potpourri

All parents know the familiar love-hate relationship you have with television programming for kids. On one hand it can be a useful educational tool, teaching your children about sharing, caring, and other important life lessons. On the other hand it is more often then not a vacuous, empty, repository, for meaningless junk that will rot your child's brain all the while teaching your children that they will die without the latest toy, gizmo, or junk food snack. And even though the later is more often the case than the former, we as parents find ourselves allowing the impressionable minds of our dear children to be influenced by everything from the sublime to the ridiculous. The main reason being that despite its drawbacks, the respite that we parents need to do other things around the house would be impossible without the help of the electric glow of television. With both my boys being sick this last week we had an extra dose of TV-time and this is what I learned about my son's viewing habits.

Zaboomafoo



I learned that a kids show about animals can kick-ass. This is actually a decent program. Every episode children learn about different animals, where they live, what they eat, and a multitude of other interesting facts. The Kratt Brothers host the program along side their adorable leaping lemur pal, Zaboomafoo. The brothers aren't to terribly annoying and Zaboo is actually a tolerable puppet character. All in all I give this show two thumbs way up!

Super Robot Monkey Team Hyperfoce Go



I learned that programing for kids ages 6-12 years old is going to rock. My son isn't old enough to appreciate these types of shows yet but I can hardly wait. I mean who wouldn't love a show that has the word Hyperforce in the title... and the word Monkey... and Robot... and Super... and Go! I watched just a few minutes of this show late one afternoon while the boys were taking there naps. Good stuff.

LazyTown



Finally, I learned that for every good wholesome piece of programming there is it's antithesis - its ying to the other's yang. I don't know where my son first noticed the show LazyTown. I think it was on the Nick Jr. website. All I can think to say is... what the F-ing hell? I'm not sure how to describe this show. Weird beyond measure... like Captain Kangaroo on acid and steroids... like... like... well, just see for yourself.

6 comments:

Q said...

Dude I totally watched that Hyperforce Super Masters Monkey Karate Death Pants with JA one afternoon when I was in So-Tex. it was painful to my head and eyes and ears. Seriously, what a great show. That show you linked to almost made drop the needle I was trying to inject into my left butt-cheek WTF!

Nate said...

It's great to know what the kids are watching.

Now I know what to play on the DVD player while I'm cruisin in my van. With a box of candy on the passenger seat.

heather said...

cheeks is outgrowing zoobomafoo slowly but surely. i think the only reason she still watches is cause i like the show so much. her programing of choice lately? ghost hunters (thanks j!) and animal cops. (she loves seeing the bad guys get busted.) and anything on discovery channel.


g, i have no fear whatsoever about you cruising in a van in my neighborhood. you'd stick out like a sore thumb. if you had said tractor however...

Cyber D said...

Q, so true... so true...

Gyuss, glad I can help.

heather, I think Zaboo is great. Too bad he's moving on to LazyTown and Wonder Pets!

Tera said...

TV Programming for kids makes my ass hurt! I mean some of it is okay, and I must say has tremendously augmented my children's already advanced vocabulary, but then there are those other shows that are less than favorable. They totally don't tune into to Zab any more!

If you get a chance and haven't already, watch "Chowder" it is amazingly ridiculous...and they love it!

Dagromm said...

I'm not into kids shows that teach them about animals. We live in the F'ing city. My kids aren't growing up to be zoo keepers shoveling elephant crap. I wish there were more shows for kids teaching them how to recognize a zone blitz or how to break down a cover 2.