Saturday, May 27, 2006

Friends

Making friends is more difficult than anyone is willing to admit. I was inspired to say something on friendship after reading a difficult story on my friend's blog.

My son is still too young to be concerned with the harsh reality of school but I think about the future! In a few years it will be important to him. I hope he is both lucky and naturally skilled in the art of friendship. I was not.

I firmly believe it takes both skill and luck to make good friendships. You can have the best of intentions but choosing friends is often random and entirely dependent upon who you first bump into... be it a next door neighbor, the kid sitting next to you in class, or the guy that stands next to you in gym because your last names start with the same letter. Additionally, you can bump into the perfect best-friend potential without even knowing, unless you take the time and energy to cultivate that chance meeting into something more.

I never really did a great job of making friends for the vast majority of my childhood. All through elementary my two best friends were a pair of brothers that lived down the street from me. They were 2 and 3 years older and we didn't cross paths much in school. My school friends were really more like school acquaintances and although I tried to bond with these kids nothing ever really stuck.

When I moved to another town at the tender age 13 I was very sad to be leaving my two best friends. Looking back I am certain that my lack of strong friendships from school made it all the more scary. However, I had high hopes that my luck would change.

I am happy to say that I did make some great friends but it didn't happen overnight. I got lucky with one of those friendships, having made it early in my move. I am forever grateful to that person for looking past the geeky kid in nike ankle-socks to see "me" underneath. But aside from this chance meeting, my two best guy-friends from high-school didn't come along for another two years. During those two years I had a few failures along the way. Three to be exact.

When I turned 15 it just happened. I began to question my ability to make friends but I happened to be in the right place at the right time and I made two great friendships the beginning of my sophomore year. Looking back I am glad that I "stayed the course" and continued to be myself. It took five damn years but my friendship circle was something I was very proud of.

But ever since then I have always been very suspect of meeting new people. I am still very slow to trust others. I also questioned my ability to "read" other people. I wondered if I was a good judge of character. But I took what I had learned and built on that skill. I made friends with a great bunch of guys in college. To this day, I am amazed by the strength and number of these friendships. But again, luck played no small part in how these guys came together.

Outside of office friendships - I was also lucky enough to land what I would describe as my last two "pre-parenting" friends. One through a mutual friend and one from graduate school. I cannot imagine not having them as friends today.

But as a thirty-something father and husband I look to the future with more concern for my son's prospects of friendship than my own. I am hopeful that one can teach their children the skills of friendship but I also believe that nothing beats being in the right place, at the right time.

Ultimately, I believe you must teach your children to be kind, be fun, and be true to what they know is right. There will be hardships along the way, only because children can be cruel to one another. But eventually your son or daughter will find that niche and they can be proud of the fact that they did not compromise their principles in an effort to make a fair-weather-friend.

3 comments:

Dagromm said...

I think that it's important that you put in the part about effort in making friends. I know my kid seems to think it's enough that he be nice to people and they will be his friends. It's the difference really between an acquaintance that you have small talk with at work and the friend that you really feel you can share with. What will be most frustrating to you as a parent is when your kid doesn't naturally have skills or understandings that you yourself have. I've always made friends pretty easily and think I still do, although the added responsibilities of age mean that I don't have as much desire to make new friends since I would have little time for them.

Nate said...

Growing up, I changed schools every three years and left my friends behind. I never had a problem making new one's, but solid, deep friendships (OMG, that sounded Soooooo gay) are much harder to find.

Even these days, I meet alot of people who I am friendly with, but not I don't call "friends" in the sense I really understand it.

Q said...

I have lived in the same town my whole life. During my school years I had a ton of "friends". I never had trouble making "friends", but it took a while before I had relationships with people that I would later recognize as my friends. I don't talk to any of my friends from high school any more and it seems now that they were more of my friend because we had known each other for a while, had some classes together and did not really get along with anyone else.
When I went to college I made friends with people that shared interests with me and who I genuinely liked being around, which is probably why those relationships stuck and the other ones didn't.

I agree with ya'll about making new friends. It is hard because of the time investment and the fact that if I had the time I would spend it with my current friends.

...and Gyuss you are definitely my deep-solid friend...