Wednesday, May 24, 2006

To move or not to move...

So long story short: I may have an opportunity to move my family to another city. I don't know how I feel about it. The (larger) area where I live now has been my home for the last 14 years (minus 1 year in the middle). Like most, I am a creature of habit. So change (while sometimes good) makes me very nervous. I've grow accustomed to the environment around me (including the negative stuff). But I tend to focus on the positive things and I think about how I will be without those things. Particular friends mostly but other familiar comforts also spring to mind.

A wise person told me that most of what I would be losing (in a move) is replaceable and I should focus on the non-replaceable things when making a decision like this. Still, it is very difficult.

I am finding that my decision is being swayed largely by these (arguably) less important issues. I still don't know if a move is even possible at this time but it will rapidly become clear in the next 2 weeks... most likely.

I don't really have much more to say on the issue... nothing profound really... if I had a super enlightening comment to make I'd probably not even be posting these thoughts because I would already have everything worked out.

And for those out there that worry my identity may be in question with a certain current employer... don't worry. It isn't... and if it is... I really don't care anymore.

6 comments:

Nate said...

yeah....ummm...when you say move, is it like to another suburb type move, or different state type move?

Q said...

A distance like that is not that bad of a move if it makes your situation better, which it has to 'cause from our conversations not sure it could get any worse. With that said please don't move I beg of you, that might very well be the end of me. *Begins to sob*

Cyber D said...

Move to a different city type move... but (as you know) in Texas moving to a different metropolitan area is like moving to a new state.

Nate said...

ack! You're just gonna hate the humidity down there ;)

Cyber D said...

It's the pioneer point guard!

Dagromm said...

I usually solve the really tough qustions in life with a game of chance. I'd advise trying something like Russian Roulette. If there's a bullet in the chamber when you pull the trigger than your decision is made for you.
I also think that a relocation package or lack thereof can go a long way towards ruling a move out.