Monday, August 28, 2006

Hope Springs Eternal


The Men of Baker Fantasy Football League (or MOBFL) Draft has officially concluded for 2006. Good times were had by all and everyone, save The Gulf Coast Brigands, enters this NFL season with prospects high. While this weekend was not the best for me in terms of fantasy football focus, I do believe the Sports Donkey Lollipop Buffet (or SDLB) has a strong team.

Round 1 - In a very unexpected move I made a trade with the new owner who held the 1st pick in the draft. Knowing he is a Redskins apologist, I offered him the SDLB keeper player Clinton Portis, in exchange for him drafting Rudi Johnson and trading him to me. A player that I would have never been able to draft at the end of the first round. In making this trade the Fat Hogs and the SDLB swapped second round picks.

Round 2 - At the end of the 2nd round the "Brain Trust" of the SDLB decided to draft Reggie Bush if he was available. If not, we were to grab the best WR on the board. Reggie Bush was drafted in the first round! Major surprise. So with Holt, Harrison, and Moss all taken I drafted Roy Williams - super stud out of Detroit.

Round 3 - Perhaps the most crucial position in the draft and I go and cough up an egg! With Barber, Portis, Johnson, James, Alexander, Tomlinson, Parker, Foster, Jones, Williams, Jackson, and Droughns all gone I panic and take Julius Jones. This is perhaps my most lamented decision of the entire draft, but we move on.

Round 4 - With the SDLB (having kept Terrell Owens and secured Roy Williams, and now two solid starting backs, I go for the best QB on the board. With Manning, Manning, McNabb, Brady, Bulger, Rothlesburger, Delhome, and Culpepper gone I snag the great white hope, Trent Green. The offense may not be as high-flying but he has a great arm and some great O-weapons.

Round 5 - Running backs are now looking bleak with the only thing left being, backs with injury risk, rookies, and backs on a team that choose to execute a running-back by committee concept. I go for Joseph Addai. Possibly the next great runner behind the line with Peyton Manning. A rookie, yes but a promising one. This feels like my genius rookie pick of Fred Taylor eight years ago.

Round 6 - Running Backs aren't looking any better and you need 4 on a team. Chris Brown is still a starter so we take him and are grateful.

Round 7 - With two stud Wideouts it isn't too much of a concern who the number 3 is on the SDLB, but Reggie Brown is the go-to guy for McNabb. He'll get his share of TDs.

Round 8 - Let go ahead and lock up the last Wideout, so we can worry about something else. Lee Evans is the number one wide receiver for Buffalo and as the number 4 wide receiver for the SDLB, that is a pretty deep group!

Round 9 - Trent Green aint no spring chicken and injuries can happen. The young QBs with promise are all gone, but there are plenty of "journeymen" looking to cash in on a good situation. How about the offensive genius of Mike Martz and the beautiful hands of Roy Williams? John Kitna becomes the SDLB number 2 QB.

Round 10 - With Rudi, Julius, Addai, and Chris Brown as the 4 RBs, there are still concerns of productivity. The number 3 back in Green Bay is still available and the only back in GB that will not be suffering from injury this season. Samkon Gado because the number 5 RB on the SDLB.

Round 11 & 12 - The SDLB prefers to draft kickers before the "run" begins. We were one round too late. But managed to snag Jason Elam and Jeff Reed. Just after Viniaterri, Feely, Graham, and Akers were taken. Bad news: Elam and Reed share a bye week so a trade will be required before week 4. Serves me right for not paying attention, but at pick 11 out of 12 in a serpentine draft, you don't get much time between picks to think about the next one.

Round 13 - It's garbage time and the SDLB wants to load up with as many backs as possible. How about an ageless goal-line vulture, adored by his head coach? Sounds good. Welcome back Mike Alstot. I have missed you so very much.

Round 14 - I never draft a defense early and I never will. As evidenced by this great defense still sitting out here at the end of the draft. Indianapolis was a monster last year and Tony Dungy will only improve this unit in 2006.

Round 15 - As a keeper pick on the 15th round Terrell Owens only comes with upside.

So good luck to all you slouches in other leagues and be lucky that you do not fall under the boot of the might SDLB in the MOBFL.

11 comments:

Nate said...

Clinton Portis for a 1st round pick?

Injured Clinton Portis? The Clinton Portis who will be blocking the whole season for to make up for a lousy offensive line and bad quarter back?

Q said...

It's a keeper league though, so a number one isn't worth as much as it is normally. With that said, "Woo Hoo!" we got Rudi! Portis is a highly rated back, in a Joe Gibbs offense so he is a pretty good fantasy player. I had him last year and rode him to a Super Bowl appearance.

Nate said...

Well, based on the performance Saturday (I know Portis wasn't in), I just don't think this team is gonna be capable of anything.

The ant-owner venom in this town is really running strong.

Snyder is a jerk, but if he produced a winning team, at least he'd be a winning jerk.

Cyber D said...

We hear you, G. That's why we wanted to trade Clinton for the best RB available and we felt that it was Rudi. In our league (for the last time) teams can keep two players. Most have kept the elite backs, leaving the pickens slim. Next year it is a clean slate and don't you know I'm loving it. As an aside. I've tried to post a funny picture as part of this post all day. I've attempted several times and although blogger tells me I have successfully posted my image, it isn't populating in the body of the text, neither is it appearing on the blog when I say publish post. This has happened on and off and I've always chalked it up to high traffic volumn. But it's really pissed me off this time, since the image would have totally made this post hilarious. Any thoughts on what is going on? It really sucks!

Dagromm said...

Blogger is a broken tool. I've invented a new blog site that you should all check out. You can reach it at www.penthouse.com

Cyber D said...

Nice try, Dags. You'll have to do better than that!

Nate said...

nice picture

NO HOMO!

Nate said...

oh yeah, almost forgot the link to my Fantasy Football league


http://tinyurl.com/6ule


Hints would be appreciated. We have not drafted yet.

Q said...

Gyuss, I am so going to join your ff league. I love you.

Cyber D said...

I'm all about Homo-Erectus! My best advice is to focus on a Defense early. There aren't very many so you'll want to get the best one. If you see Running Backs being drafted, don't worry the crop is deep... and oh yeah. Manning retired. You might be asking yourself which one. The answer: Both! Good luck!

Nate said...

/makes notes

"ok, Ravens Defense in the first round, hold of till 5th round for an RB"