Sunday, August 20, 2006

Paratroopers Rule


I've now played several games of Axis and Allies: Miniatures and I've come to at least one undeniable conclusion. Paratroopers rule! I've played different armies with different units. I've focused on a balanced army, I've gone heavy tanks, lots of air support, massive amounts of cheap units (canon fodder) but the most formidable armies I have built have always contained at least two paratroopers. Right now the U.S. paratrooper is (by far) the best, and with the Screaming Eagle Captain they become a serious force to be reckoned with. I'm usually the type of gamer that enjoys employing different strategies as often as possible. But these U.S. paratroopers combined with their captain, and the indirect fire-support of the 81mm Mortar teams is almost too "sure-fire" to pass up.

Basically these units get to "teleport" onto the battlefield anywhere and at any time. They are super tough (by comparison to other infantry), they have great attacks, and they ignore the effects of being "pinned down" (or in A&A terminology - disruption). They are expensive units but at 9 points a pop you can run 3-4 and still have enough for a 20-30 point tank and some other support units and still make it under the 100 point army limit. I am now torn between only every running paratroopers because I know it improves my chances of winning drastically OR trying my hand at some other strategies I see in the mechanics. I suppose I could take a lesson from the ol' Q himself and play an unbeatable strategy until somebody beats me.

6 comments:

Dagromm said...

So how are you all of a sudden able to find time to play games? I want some Cyber time if that's the case.

Q said...

The German Fallshirmjager(sp?) should be even better than the US. At the time they were the elite German units of the war. I have to agree with CyberD the AA mini game is lots of fun to play. He and I were able to get in a game in about 45 minutes with him teaching me the rules.

Nate said...

How to they fare against Galactus?

Cyber D said...

Dag, my game playing time is still very limited and very specific to my circumstances. If you are willing to come to my place and speak in a quiet tone of voice between the hours of 11:30am and 2:30pm, than I am able to play games while my son takes a nap. R&J have had more opportunities with me since they both live 5 minutes from me. The Q drove down and can attest to how easy it is, although all bets are off when the boy wakes up.

Q, The Fallshirmjager's are coming out in the next release in November and I am very excited. I'm glad you enjoyed it. It is like a diet-wargame. Decent models, good game mechanics, and fast paced play. I've been reading the FoW and it also looks REALLY cool. Just looks a little more involved, like WH40k.

G, Galactus still kicks their ass.

Q said...

If they ever make an Elephant the you will have almost the equivalent of Galactus in this game.

Cyber D said...

Is that a Tank of some kind?