Wednesday, August 02, 2006

The Road Rage Solution

I'm sitting in my car during rush-hour traffic on the way to work and I have an epiphany. First I'm looking around at all the eighteen-wheelers. Needless to say there are several clogging up the lanes. Then I notice all the dump-trucks, work-trucks, paint-trucks and other various vehicles that haul materials from one side of the metroplex to the other. There are quite a few of these. Finally I notice all the people in cars (including myself) who are driving alone. It's enough to drive anyone crazy.

My epiphany occured because not more than thirty minutes earlier I was sitting at home watching Thomas the Train with my son. These fictional characters on the Island of Sodor have it figured out. This entire world, built around the concept of hard-working trains possessed with a soul, has an elaborate rail system. And from what I can tell, 90% of it is dedicated to halling "stuff" from one side of the island to the other. It's amazing! And the only four wheeled vehicle in site is a mass-transit bus. I'm telling you. Anyone in this town that can afford an automobile has got it lucky. They probably cruise around the island at 80 miles an hour. That's where I want to live. Forget about sitting in traffic forever, all my city needs is a Mayor like Sir Topham Hatt from Sodor Island.

9 comments:

Q said...

So all you have to do is make cars super expensive so that only really wealthy people could afford them. Then you have to create a mass public transportation system that will haul people and stuff from one place to another. To bad we don't live on an island, I think that makes everything easier. Know What I'm Sayin' ; )

Nate said...

So you want to move to Europe? That's what you're saying?

Q said...

I actually want to live in a Chocolate Factory that is run by a man that most belive is crazy. But in reality he just loves his work and enjoys making chocolate. He would use elves as workers because they will work hard and cheap, look whta they have been doing for Santa all these years. I think I am going to go write a Novel, I will call it Jeffrey and the Chocolate Factory. Man that would be great.

Cyber D said...

I guess what I'm saying is that the biggest thing that sucks about living in Texas is that everyone feels it is a God giving right to drive their SUV all by their lonely selves to work every day - spewing out CFC's left and right.

But what really kills me are the eighteen wheelers. We should pass a law that says they can only travel the roads between 10pm and 6am or something.

Nate said...

I'm with ya Cyber!

I really like riding the train to work. Peaceful.

Q said...

Yeah I am with you to CyberD, it is my God given right to drive my SUV to work alone every day. Man this having money stuff rocks. Well I am off to practice my pyro-oragami with 20 dollar bills. Sodomy!

Dagromm said...

I'm with you too. We should take the souls of the poor and infust them into the cars of rich people so that will be able to relax in rush hour traffic and won't be so lonely. Actually i might not be completely understanding you, but this Thomas the Tank Engine sounds totally frightening. Are you sure you should be showing it to your kid?

Q said...

CyberD where have you gone?

Q said...

Still missing you CyberD.