Friday, August 11, 2006

I'm hooked, once again!


I told myself I wouldn't do it. I told myself I would not allow myself to get into another collectible game. But two of my old college friends just had to start collecting and playing it. They invited me over a few times. They even let me borrow their units to play. I managed to hold out for several weeks. But after playing the game three times now I think I'm going to have to take the plunge.

If you haven't tried the new WOTC game Axis and Allies: Miniatures you should try it. I've come to appreciate the value of pre-painted plastic models. As a parent to a young child, painting just isn't an option anymore so my snobbery for painting my own models has gone out the window. That's one thing this game has going for it. And while the models themselves aren't that great, they are definitely serviceable. What was most surprising is how balanced the game mechanics are relative to the point costs for each unit. With all the variation in units: from tanks to infantry, to aircraft, anti-air, halftracks, elite units, and commanders there is a huge risk of creating unbalanced units and consequently "breaking" the game. So far WOTC has done an outstanding job of keeping everything balanced, making every unit have it's benefits and drawbacks. The point costs also seam very workable, making the truly elite units so expensive that you will definitely find yourself outnumbered if you chose to deploy them. I'm already trying to work a deal on-line to trade some of my old game miniatures for some of this stuff.

Man am I a sucker.

3 comments:

Q said...

I can order at cost, so don't pay retail.

Dagromm said...

Yeah, and the homeless can't play it, which makes it even cooler!

Cyber D said...

Always!