Monday, September 11, 2006

Carpe Job!

It is a moment like this that one is reminded that the wheel of time does eventually turn. Like a child in the month of December the thing you crave most feels like it takes an eternity. In this case only nine months... and no I'm not talking about the birth of my son, although we are celebrating his birthday this month.

I'm talking about a job offer with Some-Such University. It represents so many things that I have been wanting/needing/longing for that it is hard to put into words what I am feeling right now. Disbelief is actually one of those feelings. Glee, peace, excitement, and fear are also some of the feelings rushing through me at this time.

I am now waiting for the contract to come in the mail so that I might review it, sign it, return it, and then shove my stinking resignation letter in the face of those I dislike most at my place of current employment.

Two and a half years isn't a long time on a resume but it sure is a long time being a duck out of water. I'm returning home in a sense. Back to working in higher education. And I have to say the best thing about working outside of that arena is now knowing that in the fundraising business - higher education is the place to be.

But the good news is that I am not just running away from something... Actually the running away part has become the smallest of factors. The even "gooder" news is that it is a great professional move to a university on the rise in prominence. It is into a facet of development that is truly the direction I want to take my career at this time and not the bizarre hybrid that it was at my current place of employment. It is significantly more money which is always a good thing and something that will come in handy with a new baby on the way.

(Did I not mention that on my blog yet? I guess I was too busy ranking Seinfeld characters.)

The one drawback is the travel. I will miss my wife and son terribly. Also being gone more often with the new baby will certainly be harder on my wife by comparison to my being home every night when Lil' Magnum was an infant.

But I am hopeful that this is something we can become comfortable with in time. I am also hopeful that "me time" will become a part of my life again. Perhaps there will be some time to persue my writing instead of watching lame cable television in a hotel room. "Me time" has been in serious short supply. But with all change comes stress. I anticipate growing pains with the new situation but the positives certainly outweigh the negatives.

So Carpe Job I say!

7 comments:

Nate said...

Thats really awesome news, dood!

Gratz!

When I was your son's age, my dad had a job that took him out of town 3-4 days out of each week, and look how I turned out.

Q said...

Counter point - My dad was home every night and look how I turned out.

Gratz CyberD!

Nate said...

and what does this new job have to do with fish?

a carp job? are you gonna be a long shoreman?

Dagromm said...

Sounds fishy to me!

Dagromm said...

Okay that was terrible, I admit it. Truthfully, congrats. I hope this doesn't cause your kid to become a Q Baltaar though, at least no more than genetics will dictate.

Q said...

I think I am going to change my career and become a koy fisherman.

Nate said...

but seriously, how are you going to quit?
Are you gonna step up and burn some bridges? or go out with a nice diplomatic two-week notice?