Monday, September 25, 2006

I need answers!

I've been playing fantasy football for almost ten years. The last couple have been in a new league with largely rookie ownership. In both years I struggled and made the play-offs one of those two years. This year I combined forces with The Q... who made it to the Super Bowl last year in the league. This year we will have started 0-3. On paper our team isn't bad. It's solid. But our offensive production really sucks right now. I know we can get it together but we basically have no consistency. Q has been great about not laying all of this at my feet, considering the fact that I drafted the team while he was out of town... but I really can't help but think our draft is part of the problem.

I'll be honest with the blogging world when I say that ever since we did this keeper system, I have been thrown for a loop! I can't seam to get my footing year in and year out with each draft and I am very much looking forward to a clean slate in 2007. Having said that, I'm still at a loss for why we suck this year. The Q and I are good judges of talent. Perhaps it is that same phenomena when four family members go to the movies and can't decide what they want to see.

Observe:

Mom - Wants to see the Oscar nominated love story but will settle for the tongue and cheek comedy.

Dad - Wants to see the high-powered action film of the summer but will settle for the tongue and cheek comedy.

Son - Wants to see the big-budget comic book film but will settle for the tongue and cheek comedy.

Daughter - Wants to see the star-studded romantic comedy but will settle for the tongue and cheek comedy.

Arguably in every case, each member of the family wants to see a pretty good movie and arguably every member of the family might enjoy each film better than the lame tongue and cheek comedy but it happens to be 2nd on all their lists based on personal preference. Consequently the family chooses the lowest common denominator because they can all agree on this... and in the end nobody is happy.

So how does this relate to my team with Q? I know I'm holding Q back in some ways and he has respectfully consulted my opinion in every decision. Likewise, I'm sure some ideas have crossed my mind that I have refrained from suggesting because I know Q might be against it. The result is two championship level styles getting watered down in order to gel with the each other. That is not to say that I am not enjoying this partnership. It is proving to be a great working relationship. But I tell you right now that neither Q nor I are happy with our current record.

What I think is really at play here is just some seriously bad luck. But with another couple of losses I'll start to question that.

To the Q, I say we need to do something drastic. We need to mix it up. I don't know what that is but I'm sure we can come up with something.

Damn, I hate to lose.

12 comments:

Dagromm said...

Two things Cyber D-
First off i recommend getting Peyton Manning. He does a lot to cover a teams deficiencies and protect you from the Lamont Jordan's if the world. If you can't get Peyton then I would suggest some other QB who is 6'3", 235 lbs, with a laser rocket arm.
Secondly, recognize that Fantasy Football is gambling. Sure it's entertaining and drawn out over the course of the season, but it's gambling. Much like the horse races, you can spend time studying statistics, past performances, etc, to help you make your decisions, but in the end if there were one sure way (excluding the Manning thing above) to come out a winner then everybody would be doing it (see Manning recomendation). It's happened to all of us. No matter how good you are, sometimes you just get chained to a Q and dragged down below the murky ocean waters.
On top of that keeper leagues exacerbate a bad situation. It's hard to get back on top once you've had a bad situation (see prior Q reference). The good news is that this year isn't over yet so you're not mathematically out yet! Also the sooner you get to next year the sooner you can atone and really change things up(P.Manning and Q).

Q said...

Or maybe you get chained toa CyberD???

Cyber D said...

Nice, Q. I said nothing but good things about you in my post... then Dags comes along and throws out a few disparaging remarks and all of a sudden you toss me under the bus like the scape-goat of all scape-goats!

Nate said...

I like the gambling analogy.

This week I thought I was toast. My opponent had Clinton Portis and just tore me up!

Then Matt Hasselback came along and had a game he had no right to have against that defense, and saved me.

Now I'm watching Monday night hoping my RB Reggie gets at least two more fantasy points than my opponents TE Colston.

Holey crap! You just see that muffed play by ATL? What a fumble on a kick!

Q said...

I was just offering a rebutle to Dagromm's comment. I put question marks after the statement, read those into it. I didn't say it was bad being chained to you did I??? Just saying maybe it was me that was chained to you not vice versa, calm down a little CyberD. I love you CyberD.

Cyber D said...

Okay, I'm calm. I love you too, CyberQ. So I've been thinking more about this B.S. and I think we need to pick up Vanderjagt and start him... assuming he plays... then in week 5 we need to begin to consider the prospect of starting two kickers. I know it's not your style but they are consistent points and have consistantly been scoring better than our third option at WR or RB... unless something changes next week I think we should try and look at another Defense... also I think we are good with Alex Smith and our RB core. These next few weeks should be good for us because it is the begining of the bye week process where other teams are going to be at a disadvantage due to their studs not playing. We'll be okay because we don't have any studs save Rudi.

Nate said...

you guys can start two kickers? that's awesome!

I wish I could do that. Chad Palmer pulled a goose egg on me this week. Chad Freakin Palmer.

Send him to the bench and get me a kicker who can PAT

Q said...

Who is Chad Palmer?

Cyber D said...

I think Gyuss meant Carson.

Nate said...

no, lol, I actually meant Chad Johnson.

Stupid head cold has my brain frozen up.

Dagromm said...

Chad Palmer is a combo-player that I created. He has all the quarterbacking skills of Carson Palmer combined with the gold teeth and penis of Chad Johnson. He is awesome. And he's a 9th level ninja with psionics.

Cyber D said...

I'll pit my Emmitt-Montana combo-level 12 Master Sportsman against your Chad Palmer any day of the week.