Thursday, September 21, 2006

It's not an invitation to dinner but it's more than most people get!

Today was probably my last major event with my current employer. I would say that for the most part I went out with a whimper. I wasn't in charge or even responsible for much of anything so I showed up on-time and stood around holding up a wall. This is much different than what I am normally accustomed to doing - that being working the room and meeting strangers so I can ask them for money. It was actually kind of nice to be as anti-social as I wanted to be without any expectations.

The speaker was quite a bore, and the program was pretty hap-hazard so it made me feel pretty good about the fact that even though my ex-boss expected perfection, she will continue to be disappointed by the people that she hires since (like me) we are all only human!

But there was one very special moment. Had I been a little more "on the ball" I might have gotten more. Maybe a conversation. Having received only a hand-shake and the casual comment of "hi," I was still extremely satisfied, because I got to shake the hand or Roger Staubach! Two and a half years with my organization and finally the man comes to one of our events. He's been invited to absolutely everything we do and he finally came. And I got to shake his hand. This is a Three time Super Bowl Champion, Quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys Football Franchise from 1969 to 1979, and all around person of prominence. It's not everyday that one gets the brief brush with fame (and believe me - mine was brief), but it's more than most people get, so I'm not ashamed to flaunt it. Woo-Hoo!

10 comments:

Nate said...

That's pretty cool. I had a post of Roger on my wall when I was a kid.

That's a nice way to wrap up the job.

Dagromm said...

I'd like to have made a comment on Gyuss' Roger Staubach post, if only I had known him at the time.

Q said...

*Canbarelycontainlaughter*
I got nothing

Nate said...

what? what?

It was a poster of Roger Staubauch in a cowboys blue speedo? Is that so wrong?

Q said...

No you said post, like blog post...get it... get it...

Cyber D said...

Does anyone other than Gyuss have anything to say about my meeting Roger Staubach... no? You guys suck.

Q said...

I don't want to post "That's Awesome!". What's the point in that? You know how cool it is to meet Roger Staubauch, I know how cool it is to meet Roger Staubauch obviously I am happy you met him. Also is the girl from "Tank-Girl" and "In the Army Now" a lesbian?

Nate said...

I'm not sure. but a google search of "lori petty" and "lesbian" returned 19,000 hits

Q said...

Very interesting...

Dagromm said...

I don't think that Lori Petty is a lesbian. You should ask Roger Staubach. He's famous. They probably hang out at the same parties all the time. While you're at it ask him why he is holding Drew Pearson back from getting into the Hall of Fame. I bet he thinks that it would diminish his own accomplishments if it were recognized that he was throwing to a HOF caliber WR.