Saturday, October 21, 2006

For those of you paying attention...


I started my new job last week. And for those of you that care I give the new situation an A- on the report card. Everyone I have met is very nice. The entire atmosphere is far more friendly and welcoming. Everything I have seen so far seams to indicate that resources will be plentiful, the work load will be distributed well, and that my support staff will actually support me which was a complete crock of shit with my last employer.

But it is a large organization. The largest I have ever worked in and there are inevitably some logistical and communication issues associated with it. This however is the least of my worries and probably one of the easier things to fix.

Of course this is all very knee-jerk since I am still in my first week (which is largely just orientation), I will not meet my boss until November (he was hired after me), and I have no sense of how maxed out the management pushes the staff work-load. Call me a high-S on the D.I.S.C. assessment but I am not quick to trust and I can be be very skeptical of peoples motives. So I am reserving judgment for a little further down the road. In the meantime I am Mr. Positive Thinking Man and hopeful that this is someplace I can spend the next 5-7 years... or more.

So going from a D- in job situation to an A- is pretty good.

6 comments:

Dagromm said...

Well, I hope it stays an A. I'm glad that you can move into this new spot with a good attitude. That goes a long way to making it live up to your expectations. It gets tougher as you get older to get excited about new gigs, because you know it will take the better part of a year for the luster to wear off. Of course as you get more experienced you also get better at spotting the flaws. I have no doubt that this will be a better situation for you though. When it gets as bad as it was for you, there's nowhere to go but up.

Nate said...

That's great to hear. I hope your new boss turns out to be a good one.

Q said...

I am glad that it is better than your last one, it seemed to be really bad from my conversations with you.

Cyber D said...

Thank you, gentle friends for your encouraging words.

Dagromm said...

I don't see how it could ever be any worse than a B+ with all of those college girls running around. Have you instilled a dress code for your "interns" yet?

Q said...

Wow I forgot that you get college interns there...A+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++