Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Heroes is a Good




I've watched all the first season episodes and I'm definitely hooked until the end of the season. I hate the fact that the plot moves at a snails pace but I like the characters and I look forward to the over-arching plot unfolding. All in all I give it two thumbs up.

In general the powers that our heroes possess have a new and unique spin on some age old super powers. The super strength single mom, Niki can apparently only access her power through her split personality, Jessica. Peter, the inevitable leader of the group, has the ability to mimic powers that others possess without any real powers of his own. Issac the painter is a pre-cog but he can only access his abilities when he is high on drugs. Perhaps the most familiar of powers is the healing powers of Claire the cheerleader which appear to be exactly like the super healing powers of Wolverine from X-Men.

What is most compelling up to this point is the mystery around the villains. Who are they and what is there agenda? As of right now Claire's own father is the front-runner on possible villainy along with his telepathic side-kick. The mysterious serial killer Sylar has yet to be uncovered but there are all kinds or theories amongst the fan base. Finally there is the mobster Mr. Lindermen who is attempting to control the would-be politician and reluctant hero, Nathan. There are some that even believe Niki's alter ego: Jessica is a villain and possibly one of the main villains.

What is certain is that this show refuses to simply display typical archetypes that we have so often seen in other forms of the genre. I myself predict that many of the flawed characters are destined to be our heroes and not part of the villainy. It makes their victory all the more satisfying when Niki can overcome the force that is Jessica, when Issac kicks his addiction, and when Nathan finally accepts his role in the universe.

I personally can't wait for the story to unfold. It is unfortunate that it is taking a page from the colossally slow story-telling book that is Lost.

14 comments:

Nate said...

hook line and sinker on this one. And the plot moves along better than lost.

Save the cheerleader!

Dagromm said...

This show isn't fun enough for me. Hiro is funny which is why he's the most popular character, but everything else is almost overly dramatic to the point that it bogs me a little bit. I also can't stand the "Save the cheerleader save the world" catch phrase. It's just goofy. Still, I watch in the hopes that they get costumes and a Hall of Justice. Has anybody been reading the online graphic novel?

Q said...

I can totally relate to the one that can access his powers when he is high on drugs. When I take drugs I can jump over buildings and eat bricks.

Nate said...

I can totally relate to the one that has a mirror image who does bad things.

I've used that defense several times in court

Cyber D said...

The plot may move more quickly but I have noticed something about the story structure that I am not sure if I like.

In Lost, each character get's an entire episode to tell their story, with snipits of the major plot arc unfolding slowly in each episode. This format is both rewarding and frustrating. With my favorite characters I relish those episodes and find them to e quite enjoyable. When a less than intersting character get's his/her day in the sun I basically watch for the snipit of major plot arc and find the vast majority of the ep to be useless.

With Heroes, each character gets like ten minutes of every episode. It means that I will likely always get to watch Hiro in action but I think there was one ep where he and Ando sat in a parking garage the entire time.

Also, at this time the personal story arcs don't seam to be very strong just yet. About the only story arc that isn't related to the major plot arc is Niki and DL but that could soon fold back on itself and also be a part of the major plot arc.

If the major plot arc is going to culiminate with the end of the season, the writers really need to start putting in some sub-plots ore the vast majority of the audience is going to get tired-head.

Q said...

Yeah Gyuss those judges will fall for anything. Like that time I told them that I had...

Dagromm said...

The show just lacks personality. Or at least it seems to have the same personality that Lost, Law and Order, CSI, etc have. It always feels like it's night time or like it's dark and shadowy. Everything is SO gritty that you can't relate to any of the characters. On top of that they haven't made any connections with each other yet and it makes the story feel disjointed. So even though there is an overarching story we feel that we are watching from far away rather than up close and personal with the characters.

Nikki needs to take her clothes off more. So does Ikkin.

Cyber D said...

I agree, Dagromm. But I like it for the hope that it can be more. I think the gritty feel is not going away. That's en vogue right now. But the interconnectedness will happen. I do think that many of the characters still have potential. Frankly I'm surprised the show is getting 13M viewers. It's a cult hit luckily otherwise it wouldn't be given any more time to develope. I do think this show will be good by seasons end.

Nate said...

To me the show really flows like issues of a comic book.

I feel like this season is like a story thats getting collected into a graphic novel. Check out the Ultimates or Alan Moore's Supreme run.

On the other hand, Lost is similar, but meanders in the middle too much. And that's just bad story editing. I really wish J.J. Abrams hadn't been off shooting MI:3 during Season 2 so he could have tightend things up a bit. Season 2 is like the middle issues of the Preacher series, where Jesse Custer was kind of just wandering for a bit before Garth Ennis got back on track and started the pay off.

Dagromm said...

Even gritty comics like Ultimates has some good and interesting dialogue. So far I really haven't seen that with Heroes (except Hiro). It's just tough for me to stay interested, when the only real draw is the mystery behind the connection and powers. In the end if you say I don't care how they got them then there's no real reason to watch. I've been watching the show as well, because it's been convenient to me and like you I hope it will get better but as soon as something that looks interesting comes along i don't know that I will still watch it. Maybe it will be one of those that translates better on DVD.

Nate said...

Really? I'm actually genuinely interested in seeing how these regular folks deal with discovering their powers. I love how the cheerleader videotapes herself. This is the age of the Jackass movie after all.

I like flying boy realistically realizes be better not go touring the city in the sky, because he'll wind up in Guantonomo or something.

The policeman uses his mental powers to become the ultimate lover. Thats cool.

Dagromm said...

"I like flying boy realistically realizes be better not go touring the city in the sky, because he'll wind up in Guantonomo or something."

huh? I don't understand your urban hip hop lingo.

Q said...

True dat.

Cyber D said...

I like the fact that the cheerleader hates her powers.

I like the fact that Nathan is afraid of how his powers will hurt his politicol campaign

I like the police officer's feelings of desperation around his job, marriage, etc. It fits with his now very cool ability to read the thoughts of all those he people that cause him so much worry.

I like the fact that Peter is a tool and yet he is destined to be their leader.

I like the fact that Issac can only use his powers while high.

I don't like the fact that the cheerleader recorded her powers on tape. Why do it if you are tying to keep it a secret?

I don't like the fact that Hiro and Ando wasted hours dicking around in Vegas. If Hiro is so motivated to be a Hero than why fool around with Ando at the poker table?

I don't like the fact that Suresh is one minute believing in the supernatural and then the next minute being a skeptic. It's annoying. I mean if you believe in aliens you aren't going to get discouraged after just disappointment.