Thursday, November 09, 2006

Working in Mysterious Ways

My grandfather passed away this week from long-standing heart problems. He had suffered from heart issues for many years but my family never would have guessed that an aortic anuerism from ten years ago would be the source of the problem. At 92 years old we were very grateful to have had so many wonderful years with him. He was a good man and we all miss him very much.

Over the course of this week I was able to spend a little time with him before he passsed. My sister and her husband also flew into town to be with the family. Seeing family is always nice but never under these circumstances... only I find it amazing how God always works in mysterious ways. My sister needed someplace to stay for the past week so we offered our place, giving my son the very unusual opportunity to spend a consdierable amount of time with his aunt and uncle.

They are truley great with my son but have only ever had a handful of days to make an impression before they had to fly home once again. The bond I have seen develop between them and my son has been the unexpected positive experiance of this very sad occasion and I can't help but smile when I am able to capture momments like this on camera.



This last week has been very difficult but I am grateful that I can still have the tiniest positive memory from this experiance as well.

1 comment:

Nate said...

This is such a weird age to be as we grow into the "adults" at the family gatherings.

One of the factors in our decisions about which family to visit for holidays is which Grandparent is worse off this year.