Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Car Trouble


Dear Lord in Heaven! My wife is a very smart woman. She started her own business, has a masters degree, raises our child (soon to be children), and reads nothing but non-fiction. Does that not scream intellectual? So what is the deal with the car? We took a road trip to see my parents this weekend and I drove her car for the first time in many months. The car started shaking at high speeds and also shook severely when I hit the brakes. I asked her how long this had been happening and she said, just a couple of months.

A couple of months!?!

A couple of months is a couple of months too long in my book. She said she knew that we should get it fixed but that we were trying to save money and she hoped we could wait until after the holidays.

"That's not going to work," I said. Let's get it checked out. So I took it in today. To top it off, I had to rent a car for the day, skip my early morning Wednesday workout, and the entire process made me three hours late for work. Damn, that was inconvenient.

To add complete insult to injury I got the call from the garage. Brakes and tires for a grand total of $500! Go F-ing figure. I guess what's really eating at me is that my wife and I have exactly three months left of her working before the baby arrives. That's three months to make absolutely as much money as possible so we can pay off as much debt before we have to go into frugal mode. This little trip to the garage just makes that all the more difficult!

17 comments:

Dave Stivers said...

Dude...that completely sucks. I wish I had more to offer than my sympathy, but unfortunately the devil dances in empty pockets, and he's having a ball in mine at the moment. Look at it this way...at least you drive it and found the problem before anyone was hurt or in an accident. There...that's a bright side. See, silver linings do exist. Well, maybe not silver. Maybe more like ashy gray. :) We'll be thinking about you guys.

Q said...

You said it CyberD, women are stupid.

Nate said...

I can't wait to see how this one plays out once AuntEliz gets a hold of it!

Cyber D said...

Now, Q. You know I never said those exact words. I'm just frustrated... that's all.

Q said...

All the better to throw you under the bus CyberD...

Nate said...

I love the smell of blog war in the morning!

smells like...is that sushi?

Aunt Eliz said...

Ouch! That's rough. I can actually see both sides of this one. Personally, I would have mentioned the shaking, but then all my husband would have to do is drive my car to his job and it gets looked at while he works (no inconvenience) and we get an employee discount (less financial concern). But I can't say that I would have known that the longer a problem goes on, the more costly it can become to fix. So, if I were having to factor in major inconvenience, major financial strain, and a bit of naivety, I might have come down on the wrong side of that one at another time in my life.

Besides, just think of all the things she does remember and take care of in a day.

Q said...

I actually think it's a mixture of kerosene and feces. I brought the kerosene not sure about the other.

Q said...

In all seriousness, if the car is ailing from something that physically changes the way that it drives then it probably needs to be checked out immediately, for safety's sake. I am by no means a mechanic but if my car starts pulling to the left real hard I am probably going to get it looked at so that I don't endanger myself or other drivers around me. That is however one of my great fears in life, killing another human in a car accident.

Nate said...

Man, thats what has to suck about having kids and uniting your finances.

My wife had to get $300 of work done on her car last month, and I didn't even notice. Its her accounts.

Cyber D said...

My problem with waiting to months was a saftey issue. I don't like the idea of my wife and children are riding around in a car that could careen off the road at any minute.

The cost was just another layer of shit on top!

Nate said...

oh, ok. Now I see.

You are a nice guy!

If you don't like nice guys and want to visit a blog where instead of moaning about the safety of women and children I post video of scantily clad women crooning Christmas carols, visit

Gyuss Baaltar

Cyber D said...

No shilling allowed here at The Wheel!

Q said...

Well if you like shilling then you should just head on over to The Q's Corner because we don't mind it a bit over there.

Nate said...

The Qs Corner is nice

I like to visit it after a leisurely read of The House of Dagromm

and then I post my own brilliant musings to The Cave of Gyuss Baaltar

If I've got time left over, I like to take my wireless laptop into the bathroom and enjoy a good read of The Bicycle of Innerspace or something like that. Its a forgettable blog, but I like it when he links to me.

Cyber D said...

nice

Dagromm said...

Hi Cyber,
I think I broke through my works defenses. A few things. First I duidn't know you had any mode other than "frugal mode". Second, it sounds like your wheels just needed balancing. That'll happen if you hit a pothole or curb with enough force. Always question the auto shop. Those a-holes work on commission. It's not to say you didn't need new tires. If the balance has been off long enough then it'll cause crazy wear on them. Next time when the shop gives you the quote, I'd recommend balking at it. Act like you won't be able to get it all done right now and ask if there's anything they can do to get it any cheaper. If it's a good shop they'll find a way.