Monday, January 22, 2007

Cha-Ching!


I'm a Pittsburgh Steelers fan. I've been one for many years. But in the last 5-7 years, I've acquired both an NFL regulation football and Manning jersey signed by the future hall of famer himself, Peyton Manning. Since that time, I have quietly (or not so quietly) wished this quarterbacking prodigy well on his road to greatness. If for no other reason than to have the value of my two sports collectibles go up! Over the course of the last several seasons Peyton has always managed to come up short and I have felt sorry for this multi-millionaire. Once again the football savant made his way to the AFC Championship game and once again it appeared that he might just choke. I found myself again cheering my heart out for the Indianapolis Colts, only this time, I realized I was cheering for the hopes of other individuals as well. Tony Dungy, Marvin Harrison... in general the entire Colts franchise. Could it be that I have unwittingly become a Colts fan? Perhaps. At the end of the game, when the Colts finally won the day, I was a happy football fan, and resigned in what might be now my second favorite team. Only the strangest thing happened at that very moment. As I was watching Peyton upon the championship podium, a thought ran through my head...

"I wonder how much my jersey is worth now."

So on the eve of Peyton's first Super Bowl appearance I say, "Go Manning and Go Colts!"

17 comments:

Dagromm said...

It would really go up in value if something would happen to his plane on the way to Florida. Here's wishing you luck!!

Nate said...

I'm afraid I will have to root for Manning.

I will never root for Eli, but Peyton seems to be a standup guy.

Q said...

I never, repeat never, root for Quarterbacks that are 6'3" with laser,rocket arms that play for the Colts, which is sad because I don't dislike the Colts, just Manning. I don't like Archie, Eli, Peyton they all seem to be big southern dummies, and unlike CyberD I don't support that.

Cyber D said...

I don't think a guy that single handedly runs one of the more intricate offensive schemes in the National Football League should be lumped into the "southern dummy" catagory. But then again, unlike Q, I don't make gross generalizations about people simply based on their southern accent.

Q said...

He went to Tennessee University, Rocky Top! Southern Dummy!

Someone said...

Wow...someone has some inferiority issues...doesn't like southern people...doesn't like the entire Manning family (did they call you names or something?).

I'm gonna leave the whole plane crash thing pretty well alone...'cause that's just as wrong as it gets.

Dagromm said...

I think that means I won. Thanks Uncle Dave!

Nate said...

Bears are gawdless killing machines.

go colts!

fringes said...

Girls don't like football.

Nate said...

but women do

fringes said...

Toochie, Gyuss, toochie.

Nate said...

uncle dave, I've noticed that you've been promoted from "unkee"

Is that lil' Magnum's doing?
Will the arrival of lil' Higgins result in a demotion?

Q said...

Uncle Dave, it is not so much a hatred of southerners. I myself am a native southerner, it is more about a dislike of ignorance. Nah, the Mannings never called me names, they just make my brain explode when they get their southern dummy on, on national TV. And finally yes I do have inferiority issues, 6'3" QB with a laser,rocket arm who wouldn't, but beware in future posts I will bring the fire 'cause by nature I am a blogment arsonist.

Nate said...

Q, I may have to come to the defense of my neighbor unkee Dave if the flame gets to hot.

HeatherMO said...

Cyberman, I'm not even sure where to begin to comment. I've just enjoyed catching up on your site and the random stream of conciousness that seems to flow from you and your closest friends. Interesting! Similar thoughts about becoming a Manning and Colts fan without realizing it, but that's because my looser Chiefs and Rams don't give me much to hope for. Give me a call...big news, must catch up!

Q said...

Don't get to close with the extinguisher Gyuss 'cause those things can explode under the pressure created from my raging hot flames...

Cyber D said...

HeatherMO, I don't know if I'm glad you've been reading my blog or embarassed... okay more embarassed at the comments section... OR should I say blog-ment? (Darts eyes back and forth for reaction from Q and Dags) Anyway, it's been too long sice we've caught up so I'll try and give you a call next week.