Wednesday, January 17, 2007

The Quartet of Quartetness


Recently my dear friend Q was asked about how the Gyuss, Q, Dagromm, Cyberman relationship began and if there was a blog-bio on the subject. This interested blogger must have searched high and low for such a story and was saddened to realize that one could not be found. For this reason, and for others (namely to apologize to all my tender-hearted family members who dare to read the comments section of my blog and are stunned by the R-rated comments) I have decided to chronicle the story of this illustrious quartet - of which I am a humble (and most important) member.

The year was 1992 and I was just a young cyber-lad heading off to college. Like many, I was nervous about new friendships. Little did I know that 14 years later I would still be in regular contact with my freshman roommate. Gyuss and I couldn't have been more opposite when we started out. Aside from the general guy stuff like video-games, girls, and action movies, we were completely different people. Gyuss is known for his amazing chameleon like personality so he put his best foot forward when dealing with me and I was just happy to room with a guy that wasn't going to get drunk and puke on my bed every weekend. What formed from this unlikely pairing was a friendship that has stood the test of time. There have been some lean years recently with four states separating us, but that tends to happen with friendships. But when you've seen another man naked, watched him get arrested, witnessed the courtship with his future wife, witness his defection from one political party to another, and taken him to the hospital (like Gyuss and I have with each other) geographical distance is just a minor obstacle.

That same year we met Dagromm. I can't remember if Gyuss or I met Dagromm first but the resulting run-in provided an opportunity for Dags and I to realize we shared a common creative streak. This creative streak turned into an incredibly honest and deep friendship. During our four years in college we embarked on a two year project, during that time we laughed until tears rolled down our cheeks, we argued until one might think a punch would be thrown, and we have celebrated an undertaking that we still reminisce to this day. It is also the part of the spark for Dagromm's blog "handle" and an inside joke to me Gyuss.

Finally there was Q. One year after school I got a job back at my old college. It was good times because I had just married my wife, and gotten back in touch with Dagromm who was living in the college town. Q was just a boy when Dagromm and I first met him. Dags met him first, since Q was a regular patron in the store that Dags managed. When Dags told me about this wide-eyed-lad, and said he would have fit in greatly with our friendship circle in college, I was skeptical. Gyuss, Dags, myself, and handful of other college friends had an incredible friendship and I found it hard to believe Dagromm's claim. Much to my surprise, Q proved to be all that and more. Smart and funny with a touch of the bizarre, Q shocked and amazed us at every turn. Over time, each of us developed our own favorite Q story. Mine is not fit for blogger-country. But needless to say, he fits in just fine. Eventually Gyuss had an opportunity to meet up with the infamous Q and not surprisingly that friendship has blossomed. Now Q has turned into a twisted and depraved human being and I am very glad I got to know him when I did.

With three of us living two hours or more away from each other and Gyuss living across the continent, we have discovered blogging as a way to keep in touch in the most typical guy fashion. We talk about stupid stuff that has absolutely no importance in our lives other than to get laughs from each other! One can only surmise how this illustrious quartet will transform over the years and what greatness will come from it. Only time and historians will be able to tell.

17 comments:

Nate said...

I resent the assertion that I never got drunk and puked on your bed! You just weren't there!

No, but seriously. For the record:
1) You met Dags first. But somehow we all wound up with him, the captain of the Enterprise, and Devas out at the lake campus playing volleyball if I remember correctly.

2) And its because we were idiots who didn't drink. Like the only ones on an entire campus who didn't drink until we were 21 (and Dagromm still doesn't)

Q said...

But you don't resent the fact that you got arrested for...Wait for it...Wait for it...SODOMY!...
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Q said...

CyberD text me with your favorite Q story, I am intrigued.

Emmie said...

well such an interesting story... thanks for sharing it here... i would love to drop by your blog again... u can too visit My Friendship Blog sometimes and have a glimpse of something u may find interesting...!!!

Cyber D said...

Gyuss, I think your memory is correct but I have no memory of any details... and yes, we were idiots.

Q, I hate your insides so much, but I'll text you later.

emmie, welcome to The Wheel. Feel free to stop back any time. You are welcome to brouse the stacks or just kick back with your favorite cup of java. I'll be sure to check out your blog sometime.

Q said...

CyberD, emmie's not real, kind of like donnie and pron. They flit in during the night take/get what they want and then leave.

fringes said...

Truthiness: the interested blogger didn't search high or low. I asked only if such a story existed in an archive somewhere. And look! Now I have two or three versions of the same story. I love that. Kinda like on TV when each characters has her own flashback totally different from the others.

Emmie is a borg.

Nate said...

Truthiness: Fringes scores big brass Colbert points there

Nate said...

I tried to read Emmie's blog, but I was my cuteness quotient for the day was maxed out before I reached the second sentence.

/it's because I'm a horrible person, all rotten on the inside

Dagromm said...

Aaaaaaggghhhhhhhh!!! It's like living in a "Love is..." comic strip. Sorry Emmie, it's me not you, or whatever.

Fringes, I'll be sure to give you my version of events. This might take a while. Probably tomorrow. I expect I'll be able to screw around at work a lot tomorrow.

Gyuss and CyberD, I regret nor going to strip clubs in college a lot more than not drinking. Can you use school loan money there? Ooh, or what a great independent study!!!! Everett would have completely signed off on that. Dammit!!!!!!

Cyber D said...

Frankly I am shocked and disappointed at how you regulars treat guests. The Wheel is a place of tollerance and understanding and I would ask that all visitors treat each other with the same respect you offer me, the host... wait a minute. Forget that. You treat my like crap. Just be nice, people!!!!

fringes said...

Hey, does your pro-Emmie rant mean I'm a regular? Say yes. Say yes! I feel so...included.

Cyber D said...

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm? Yes.

fringes said...

Yesssssss.

Q said...

So the wheel is kind of like Bill Smith's Cafe...

Q said...

Kind of funny how if you guys had been in school at the same time as me I might never have known/met you. Ya'll didn't party, I partied until the Acedemic Probation kicked in. Ya'll lived in Baker, I lived off campus. I majored in Mathematics, ya'll majored in something else. Man weird, huh...

Cyber D said...

If by Bill Smith's cafe you mean fast and friendly service with a smile, YES!