Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Bed Time Guilt


My wife and I have really been putting the screws down on bed time with our two year old. He still cries (or whines) every night when we tell him it is bed-time. One small success has been that while he is crying he is (of his own accord) walking back to his bedroom on his own.

We've been playing hard ball for two reasons. 1) We are prepping for the arrival of this baby and we'd like at least one child to have a regular sleep cycle. 2) We actually enjoy the quality time together weather that is watching a TV-show, doing dishes, or just catching up with each other as a couple.

Once back in the bedroom we still have to read stories, do a few puzzles, and generally corral his but into bed. But once we say "night-night" it's lights out and that's it. He has his good days and bad days. The bad ones usually consist of 2-3 minutes of crying after we leave the room. The good ones, including the last few nights, have been him repeating the phrase "night-night" back to us.

Last night we wrapped things up and turned off the light. His response to me was "night-night, Daddy. Have fun."

I found that his innocent statement that I "have fun" struck in me a pang of guilt that still lingers this morning... because that was exactly what I was anticipating doing after I left his room. I was going to go out and "have fun"... whatever that meant. What must he think we do after he goes to bed? Break out the cake and ice-cream? Call up Curious George and Clifford the Big Red Dog so they can all come over and watch Disney movies until sun-up? What's next? When I drop him off at school in a few years will he say things like, "Don't worry about me dad. I'm sure I can dodge the school bully long enough to get my daily spanking from my evil teacher before being shuffled off to the cafeteria to eat gruel that isn't nearly as delicious as the food we eat at home." I think my next cyber-implant is going to replace my tender-heart with something that more resembles cast-iron.

6 comments:

Dagromm said...

Expect him to ask why you can't stay home and spend time with him instead of going to work. That one's tough too.

Q said...

I never went through this as a child my parents let me aquire my own sleep habits. I could stay up as late as I wanted, as long as I knew I had to get up early the next day and got to daycare/school. Look how well I turned out CyberD. Just a little food for thought.

Dagromm isn't the answer to that question, you throwing one of your kid's toys against the wall and screaming "So I can buy you this shit, you ungreatful..."

Nate said...

You are obviously a terrible father. I would totally out-father you in a fathering cage match

Cyber D said...

So what weapons would we choose from in this cage match of death?

Nate said...

I choose toddlers at 20 paces.

fringes said...

No worries, Dad. He is only repeating the good wishes he's heard bestowed upon others and himself at various times. Have fun. Night-night. Go pee pee.

If he had said something like: don't forget the water softener or: tell mom she needs a haircut, you could be a little nervous.