Monday, April 16, 2007

Musings from our Nation's Capital

An old college roommate got married last weekend and I made the trek for the wedding. It was great seeing all the old crew and it was also interesting to see another one of my "question-mark" friends turn out to be heterosexual. Two down, one to go. You know which one you are, Eagle Scout! Here are a few thoughts from my trip.

- Northern Speak -


Boy you people north of the Mason-Dixon line sure do talk fast. Eagle Scout, Dental, and I took the train from BWI to downtown D.C. and I'm surprised we made it, having to follow directions from locals was excruciating. You would have thought we spoke a different language.

- Old Ebbitt Grill -


This is the third time in four trips to D.C. (over the course of the last decade) that I have been to this famous bar and grill. All I have to say is Big F-ing Deal! What is it about famous restaurants and bars? It's food and booze, people! Perhaps it's good food and booze but it isn't really awe inspiring and it is definitely over priced.

- Reception Music -

Am I so old now that I consider The Jackson 5, Abba, and The Village People as good ol' fashioned wedding music? This DJ must be very "hip" because I sware, every damn song he played (that I didn't recognize and therefore hated) was from the Top 40. And is it just me or is there always some spaced-out gradma dancing to the dirty little hits of the modern era. You just know she has no idea what is going on.

- Some Dumb-Ass -


Who in the Federal Government decided it was a good idea to close the Smithsonian and 5:30pm? I understand that it's free admittance, so you aren't going to make any more money by keeping your doors open, but seriously... I was there for two days and didn't have time but to race through the Air and Space Museum. And I do mean race. We left the reception so fast, Gyuss and I were still buzzing on free booze, although it did make The Spirit of St. Louis far more appealing!

- Good Meat -


I can safely say that I had the best hamburger in D.C. at this little restaurant/bar that Gyuss loves to frequent. It also happened to be a favorite hang-out for leather-clad police officers, Vegas showgirls, and metro-sexuals. Oh... wait... Is that a sketch of a cowboy wearing ass-less chaps? And that looks like a painting of Mount Rushmore but instead of those distinguished presidents it was a version with Madonna, Cher, Bet, and Barbara. I think I just had my first gay-bar experience and I must admit it was really good meat.

- D.C. Drivers -

They suck.

11 comments:

Nate said...

Nothing like getting some good meat between warm buns in Dupont Circle!

Dagromm said...

I agree with your assessment of Famous Eateries. I haven't been awe inspired by anything but the prices.

Cyber D said...

G, the only thing missing was a nice T-Boner!

Dags, Thank you! Some people actually get a kick out of going to the restaurant where such and such famous celebreity used to eat in the 1950s. All I'm thinking is... what's the big deal. You're not going to see him there now!

Q said...

Were the buns whole wheat or white?

fringes said...

Neither you nor Gyuss has actually mentioned the wedding ceremony itself. How was it?

Cyber D said...

Q, Only the best when it comes to my meat tastes. Whole wheat all the way!

fringes, my apologies for the oversight. As dudes, we tend to space out if the activity in question doesn't include naked ladies, cars, or hamburgers. The last one being pretty obvious by now. I think the wedding was nice. There was a bride, and some music. I'm sorry but I wasn't paying very close attention, as I was thinking about naked ladies... and cars... and hamburgers.

Nate said...

and an open bar! Don't forget it was an open bar!

Rambeau, this was the first church wedding I've ever been to. I thought it was touching and kind of wish Mrs. Gyuss had been there so I could hold her hand.

And the reception was amazing. Had to cost $50k at least.

Dagromm said...

Gyuss - Nice wedding report. You're gay.

heather said...

I think I just had my first gay-bar experience and I must admit it was really good meat.
ok, you've 'earned' your own link over at my place. *as if that's something to be desired lol*

Cyber D said...

thanks for the pub! believe me, I'm in desperate need of it!

heather said...

for a small fee, just 3 easy payments of $39.39, i will be happy to add a few hyperlinks to your blog useing random words in one of my posts. for this low, low fee you will get ~very~ reasonalbly priced spam like advertising. just 3 easy payments of $39.99 will get you 4, count them! 4! hyperlinks in one of my posts! however as part of this one time only special i will throw in an additional 2! hyperlinks in a future, not yet named post. order now!!