Friday, June 22, 2007

Missing the Boat


Back in the fall of 2002 I wasn't really open to new science fiction television. My favorite show had been canceled and I was pretty jaded to anything that remotely resembled it. As it turns out I missed out on a great series called Firefly. But then again, so did many others because it too was eventually canceled. Of course many might argue that it would fail from the beginning with the way Fox Television handled its release. Between jumbling the episodes out of order, not showing the all important pilot until mid-season, and marketing the gritty drama as an action comedy the series was most assuredly doomed.

It's been almost five years now and I've continued to hear nothing but good things. I've wanted to see it for some time, but just never found it available for rent until I joined the greatness of Blockbuster Online. I ordered the first disc and watched it in the order it was originally intended, including the theatrical conclusion Serenity. I've come to my own conclusion: either I'm an official science fiction sucker or this show is greatness... or both... probably both.

Every episode was full of great character driven story. The large ensemble cast had a tremendous chemistry and at no time did it give the feeling of being too cumbersome. I even managed to enjoy the dramatic cinematic conclusion to the series. Granted, it probably pales in comparison to the unrealized continuation of the program. Personally I feel it was completely satisfying, save for the undeveloped storyline of Shepard Book. They've even left the franchise open to future films. But money talks so I've now joined the ranks of Firefly fans telling you to go out and watch this series. It's definitely a good.

8 comments:

Q said...

Cyber(Corona)D, I think we went over that the movie was the story of Shepard Book. Jeez...

Nate said...

After what happened to the pilot in the film, my interest kind of waned.

But I'll watch anything that Tim Minnear has a hand in from now on. I'll get you a list of some of his other short lived TV shows that are simply brilliant.

Cyber D said...

Q, My bad... how could I have not realized... with that whole five minutes that the Shepard had on the screen.

G, I know... I was disappointed by the writing choice to kill Wash. It was such a shame since only seconds before his death he had his chance to shine as he flew through that giant space battle. Regarding the list... I await your email!

Q said...

No Cyber(Corona)D, the main bad guy in the film was supposed to be Shepard before he found God.

Cyber D said...

Q, okay... so cool observation abou the assassin in the movie being a reflection of Book's past... but the story of the movie was not Book's story, nor was it the assassin's story... it was Mal's story.

Tera said...

I'm not a huge Science Fiction fan, but I'm glad you enjoyed!!!

Q said...

Whatever CoronaD go read some internet and you will soon follow my line of thinking. And actually it was made to end all the story lines created in the show. Reavers, River, Shepherd Book, etc. The story follows Mal because he is the main character and gives the movie some focus.

Seriously, don't just take my word for it...

Cyber D said...

Q, I get your meaning and I believe you are absolutely right. Pointing out that The Operative is essentially a symbolic representation of Book's past makes the movie that much more satisfying as I kid of get a little bit or resolution on Book's story. I was just pointing out to "emphatic Q" that the movie is not THE story of Book. I do agree that it is one of the more important stories and that I am very happy you pointed out to me.