Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Taking Care of Business - Part 2

In this second installment on the keys to living well and working less I bring forth one of my very old tricks. This is an easy one folks and it's an all time classic. Many of us do it without even realizing it. But if it's news to you, then get out your pad and pencil because it's a beauty. I like to call this one:

- Making a Lunch Break Out of Your Lunch Break -



How often do we put in that overtime? Have you ever had to work through lunch? Have you ever needed that all important mid-day break to run very important personal errands like going to the bank, the doctor's office, or the strip club?

Sometimes 60 minutes just isn't enough time and what if you have an overbearing boss or nosy co-worker that enjoys keeping tabs on you? Here's the trick... it's so easy you'll be kicking yourself for not doing it sooner.

1) Make it clear to said-nosy-ass-person that you'll be taking a late lunch today.

2) Make sure the offending nosy-ass person has JUST left for lunch themselves, preferably around noon.

3) Leave immediately after them and don't come back until 2pm.

When you return the assumption here is that you left around 1pm. And there you have it. You just made a two-hour lunch break look like one and today you had enough time to go by the bank, browse Best Buy, AND grab that gordito burrito from Chipotle!

8 comments:

Nate said...

you are my hero

Q said...

I like to use the phantom doctor's appointment at 11:00. This way I can come back whenever and say that my appointment ran long.

fringes said...

I hate those nosy co-workers. Holy shit. Hate. Them.

Tera said...

Cyber, you are a frapping (trying to cut back on the cursing) GENIUS!!!

And at my place of work, they have these bastard-ass (shit I cussed) things called "working lunches" in which we bring our food to a damned meeting!!! Who ever heard of such crap?!

And nosy co-workers can lick my...

Damn...guess that cursing thing went out the window!

Cyber D said...

gyuss, I know.

q, also a good ploy.

fringes, I share your passion on that one.

tera, no worries the punishment fits the crime and those bastards deserve all kinds of cursing.

Nina said...

Be glad you don't have to be forced to have lunch with a group of 27 second graders in your classroom that can't chew with their mouth's closed and spray mustard on the walls when they open the packets. I hate election day...the option of "givin' it to the man" is nonexsistant!

Cyber D said...

Nina, welcome to The Wheel. You make a good point. There are some burdons that are just unavoidable. I think I would have to be certafiably insane to become an elementary school teacher.

Dagromm said...

I have used this ploy as well and it has a guaranteed success rate of 87%. I can live with those odds.