Thursday, July 19, 2007

Gone and done it again


I have had a nasty habit of following TV shows that are really damn good only to result in their cancellation like Farscape, Angel, and Arrested Development just to name a few. Since I've joined Blockbuster Online, my latest trend is to pick up a show that has been out for some time, only to discover that they have ALREADY been canceled, or are in the final death throws of a cancellation. The two most recent being Firefly and Rome.

Well I've gone and done it again! For reasons to complicated to name here, I decided to try out this critically acclaimed series on HBO called Deadwood. The only thing I had heard about it was that it had a great deal of cursing. But I also heard it was pretty damn good. Both turned out to be true... in spades!

What a great show. I've only seen the first four episodes but I am hooked like a heroine junky with a trust fund! I love it so much that I went online today to see when Season 4 might be released on DVD, as I had already noticed the first three seasons were available. Of course the untimely cancellation of Rome should have been my first hint that I shouldn't take such things for granted. It is just now that I learned the show was canceled approximately one year ago.

In the immortal words of Al Swearengen.... "Fucking cocksuckers!" Once again, television executives disappoint me.

10 comments:

Q said...

CyberD, I believe both Gyuss and I praised this show as total greatness about one year ago. Anyways, shows that follow a historical time line like Rome or Deadwood often have a limited lifespan because after the historical events that they are based on run out the show itself loses the force that was holding it together.
Now the cancellation of Carnival, that was a travesty of the highest order. Check out The Flight of Conchords if you get a chance, sheer genius...

Cyber D said...

Very true, Q. But I also heard the producer was trying desperately to get a four hour mini-series made for Deadwoon on HBO, just so he could finish out his storylines and current plot threads. That sounds like there was still just a little life left in the show to give.

I'd also argue that the historical events following the fall of Ceaser didn't end there... in fact it was just the begining. Plenty of material to work with. On Deadwood, I'm not so sure as I don't know the history of that town beyond Bill Hickock.

Nate said...

Cyber, always trust the Q and the G.

Get Rescue Me season 1 next. You'll love it.

Tera said...

You are so right Cyber! I was TOTALLY hooked on Martin, and the bastards took it off! I mean I know that Tisha Campbell had a lot to do with it, but still...I was hearbroken and absolutely crushed when it came to an end!!!

Different World, The Cosby Show, Will & Grace, All of Us, The Jamie Foxx Show, Cuts...*sigh* I fear these are a few of the reasons why I don't watch much TV anymore...hell, even Bob Barker retired...what's next, Jeopardy???

Sorry...I had to vent!

Cyber D said...

Gyuss, part of the reason why there is such a lag between a recommendation that you (or Q) makes and my actually sampling a new program is because there are just only so many hours in the day and I don't have time to watch that much TV. Don't think I don't take your recommendations to heart. I do, I just don't allow myself the luxury of anticipating certain shows because I know I will not be able to get around to seeing them for some time. That and I don't have HBO so I must wait for the DVDs.

tera, vent away!

Nate said...

Cyber, I'm with ya. I don't have HBO either, so I'm always waiting for the DVD's. I am heavily anticipating Flight of Chonchords next.

As for making time, it's simple if you learn some key phrases.
"Son, go play somewhere else, Daddy needs to watch his teevee shows where the bad man yells at the whores"
and
"Woman, fetch me a sandwich! It's CyberD quiet time"

It also might be that since my wife is in her MBA program, I have way way too much time to watch teevee myself.

Susan said...

I feel that way with any series on FX. They're never really clear at the end of seasons if they're going to come back. (Minus one year of a cliff hanger on Nip/Tuck) I say you need to go with The Shield for the next blockbuster thing. I love cop dramas.

Q said...

I like "It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia" that show is blooming brilliant!

Steph said...

Don't you hate that? I always invest time and emotion in utter shit too and am equally devastated when it gets axed.

We need a channel dedicated to all the crap tv shows that people like. It couldn't be too hard to organise surely.

Cyber D said...

Gyuss, thanks for the tip. I gave that a try this weekend... no thanks to you for that stupid tip!

Susan, I've been thinking about The Shield but Gyuss has been shilling for Rescue Me for the past two years. I can't decide. I think I'll take a TV break and rent a couple of movies after Deadwood.

Q, I've watched some Sunny. It's funny.

Steph, I'll be President if you be Chairman of the Board!