Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Talent or Doo-Doo Pants?


I was talking to Gyuss on the phone the other day and we were commenting on the greatness of the movie Fandango. You can go to The Cave of Gyuss to see a few clips from this masterpiece. On a related note we were speculating if Kevin Costner had even five movies to his credit that would fall into the category of greatness. Even more specifically does he have even one good movie to his credit where he is the singular hero (and not simply a single piece of a larger ensemble cast).


So I now submit to you facts:


The top 5 Costner movies that are considered good but Costner's still crap

5. Tin Cup - There are a few guys that like this movie because they think it's about golf. They could not be more wrong. What it's really about is Kevin's terrible hair-piece and how many times he can say "golly-shucks" with his eyes to Rene Russo.

4. Waterworld - Arguably the only sci-fi credit to his name. This had lots of action, explosions, and Denis Hopper. Well... two out of three ain't bad I suppose, but this dud's worldwide gross barely covered production costs.

3. Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves - Two words: Accent Coach! Could the man not even try to have an English accent? By this time Costner was in his prime and really mailing it in. What a douche! The only reason this movie has any legs at all is because of the greatness of Alan Rickman.

2. The Bodyguard - Talk about a meteoric rise of one of the greatest singers in pop-music history. At the height of Whitney's popularity this movie burst onto the scene grossing more than $400 million world wide. I think we can all agree that Witney is the first, last, and only reason this movie is half-way good.

1. Dances with Wolves - Winner of 7 Oscars, one being best picture. Costner plays the single solitary lead about an epic tale of write and wrong in the American west. What is there not to love? How about that glaring error in the film when three birds flying over head are identified as geese when in reality there were cranes? What a continuity disaster!


The REAL top 5 Costner movies


5. Bull Durham - Perhaps one of the best baseball movies ever made. While Coster's role is arguably the lead, he still plays more of an ensemble character to the larger story. Great film but not just because of him.

4. The Untouchables - Perhaps one of the best mafia/cop movies ever made. Coster's role is sound but again, he's just one piece of an ensemble cast that includes Sean freakin' Connery.

3. Silverado - Perhaps one of the best cowboy movies ever made. Coster's role is great but he plays the smallest part of a very formidable ensemble cast.

2. Fandango - Perhaps one of the best college buddy movies ever made. Coster's role is one of the best in his career but still only an ensemble role.

1. Field of Dreams - Perhaps THE best baseball movie ever made. And Coster stands alone as the show's focal point and hero. Way to go, Kev!


There you have it, folks. If the measure of greatness is a single piece of work than Coster is up there with the greats, plus he has a few decent films where he plays a critical ensemble role. But time would indicate that this actor does not get better with age... in fact he may be spoiling over time.

Cyber D's Bottom Line: Costner is a Doo-Doo Pants actor.

16 comments:

Susan said...

What about Wyatt Earp? I feel as if it should fall onto one of those list. I'm just not fully sure which of the two..

Cyber D said...

Whatt Earp just doesn't crack the top 5 in my book but a decent enough film. The only problem is that it falls far short of another Earp movie that came out almost exactly the same time called Tombstone.

Q said...

Tombstone is waaaaaaaay better than Wyatt Earp. And for the record 'The Natural' is the greatest baseball movie ever made, hands down. What about 'American Flyer' that was a good Costner movie

Cyber D said...

The Natural is a great movie but it doesn't crack my top 5 Redford movies... wait... see there... damn it, Q! Now you've got me making another damn list!

Nate said...

I have to confess a secret like of "The Postman" his post-apocalyptic sci fi flick

Tera said...

Wow, never knew he was in so many movies. Gyuss, they keep airing that movie on Encore this week...I might take a peek-see since Larenz Tate is in it!

Susan said...

I agree. Tombstone was, and still is, my favorite of the wyatt earp movies. Val K. was awesome as Doc Holiday.

Cyber D said...

Gyuss, yeah... I'd heard of that movie but haven't seen it. That would be the only other one I would consider to be a sci-fi esque film.

Tera, that's just the tip of the ice-berg. If you haven't had a good vomit in some time you should check out his resume on imdb and go have a Costner night. You're gauranteed to be sick by the time you're done.

Susan, I agree ten-fold. My favorite line: "I'll be your huckleberry."

-Papa said...

You know your acting is Doo Doo Pants worthy when you play Robin Hood with an accent that sounds like our current President.

Steph said...

I can't stand him. He's so wooden and dull.

Dagromm said...

Gyuss - Thank you for mentioning The Postman. I almost did on your blog the other day. Not a bad flick.

Cyber D said...

papa, welcome to The Wheel. I'm glad you agree with my musings on Costner.

steph, dull is un understatment.

dags, sorry but Postman doesn't crack my top 5, regardless of how good you think it is.

NoRegrets said...

As I mentioned on d's blog the other day, I really would love (gag) to see a movie with Kevin Costner, Andie McDowell, and Keanu Reeves.

Cyber D said...

I think if I saw such a thing I would bleed my brian out my ears.

Nate said...

Who is Brian? Why is he in your ears?

Cyber D said...

You know I meant brain. Smoke some pole, Gyuss!