Wednesday, September 05, 2007

Why Who?



Many of you know that I am a shameful lover of all things Doctor Who. Up until Farscape it was my unequivocal favorite television show of all time, and that's before the new Who series came out. Most in geekdom place the likes of Star Wars, Star Trek, and other American programs in their top favorite shows but so do many "averge joes." However the mainstream viewing audience wouldn't know a sonic screwdriver even if it jumped up and bit them in the ass.

So what is Doctor Who, you ask? And why does CyberD, the bastion of good taste, speak so highly of it? To the uninitiated, Doctor Who is a British sci-fi series, originally produced and screened by the BBC from 1963 to 1989 with a new series launched in early 2005. It is about a wandering traveler of time and space who stumbles across injustice and wrong doing across the universe, and comes to the rescue of those subjugated by evil.

The longevity of this program and the lengths to which passionate fans have successfully returned the series to a modern format is unprecedented. The reason the show is able to reinvent itself so readily is the due to the main characters unique ability to regenerate his body, thereby recasting the lead actor. This bohemian vagabond is a unique intergalactic hero who defeats a vast cornucopia of villainous enemies with a superior intellect rather than a super firearm.

I am proud to say that Doctor Who has been a viewing staple for me since I was just a young cyber-lad. My avatar and blog are a homage to the series. I've burned up miles of VCR tape recording old episodes for my personal library. I even attended a Doctor Who convention when I was in junior high! Wow, I've never admitted that to anyone!

That actually felt kind of good! I feel so... alive! So full of... splendor! I feel like the first ray of sun as it kisses the cool morning dew with its soft warm radiance!

Please excuse me while I strip off all my clothes and run naked through a field of wheat!

15 comments:

Susan said...

I'm pretty sure you just took a strong lead in the geek-off.

ps. I heart Doctor Who..

Tera said...

" feel like the first ray of sun as it kisses the cool morning dew with its soft warm radiance"

I'll have some of what Cyber is taking!

Nate said...

weak! This is so weak!

Original geek content marks a geek, not writing about sitting on your hiney and watching tv

Q said...

Gus, CyberD is a much bigger geek than you. This post takes the cake!

Pssssst. Tera. Pssssst. Over here. This is what he is taking
*Opens trenchcoat to reveal a naked Q, then runs away laughing...

-Papa said...

When the FRELL are you going to post something about Farscape, or are you waiting for hyper rage to settle in first?

Nate said...

Frak that Papa! BSG posts all the way!

EsLocura said...

can I just get pictures of the naked running in the field?

heather said...

yeah right, if you're running through a field of wheat naked where are your protractor, casio calculator watch (scratch that, make it your swatch watch), mechanical pencils and fountain pens and whatever the hell else it is that geeks carry? or are you still wearing a fanny pack? or am i confusing geek and nerd? i never quite understood the distinction.

(ps, check to make sure that wheat field isn't anywhere near a 'rest' area, you may wish you had packed mace in the fanny pack.)

NoRegrets said...

How What When?

Cyber D said...

susan, do you have your secret decoder ring?

tera, that would be a healthy dose of bad-ass-ness!

G, you just wait.

Q, thank you, AND thank YOU!

papa, you should check out some of my archives. There are a few Farscape tidbits but you are right. A post strictly dedicated to that show is long overdue.

G, Un-Shun! Yes, BSG is awesome! Re-Shun!

eslocura, what's your address?

heather, naked is naked. No accoutrements in this care-free jaunt!

NoReg, Where?

Aunt Eliz said...

Here's to the Doc who wielded the "deadly jelly babies!"

Nate said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Nate said...

When you run naked through a wheat field, I can clearly see you're nuts.

Cyber D said...

AuntE, I tip my hat to your referance!

G, That's the point!

heather said...

*lmao @ gb*