Thursday, October 09, 2008

They grow up so fast...


The Cyber Clan was sitting around the dinner table last night and I asked my 4 year old son what he did at school the other day. The following conversation ensued.

Lil' Magnum: I made animal noises at a girl today, Daddy.

Me: What did you do?

Lil' Magnum: Growl, Squawk, Neigh, Quack! Like that.

Me: What's her name?

Lil' Magnum: I don't know her name. She has a pink bow on her head.

Me: Is she in your class?

Lil' Magnum: No, I saw her in the lunch room.

Me: Is she pretty?

Lil' Magnum: No! (he says in a defensive tone)

Me: You should introduce yourself.

Lil' Magnum: What!?!

Me: Yes - Next time you see her just go up and say, "Hello, my name is Lil' Magnum. What's your name?"

Lil' Magnum: Baaah!! I can't do that!

Me: Why not?

Lil' Magnum: She thinks I'm a monster. She runs away.

Me: That's because you're not talking to her. Try talking instead of making animal noises.

Lil' Magnum: Nah...

Me: Oh... I see. So what do you plan to do the next time you see her?

(My son sits and ponders his options for a few seconds before responding)

Lil' Magnum: I'll show her my trick (He then stands up on his chair and sucks his belly in so deep that you can count each of his ribs individually)

Me: That's my boy.

5 comments:

M. Robert Turnage said...

You have just described my first three serious relationships. However, mine usually ended in animal noises.

heather said...

will he still know her without the pink bow on her head? what if she wears yellow?
how funny, i remember the opposite side of these conversations when cheeks was that age.
cheeks - mommy? derek made animal noises at me today.
me - well honey, it takes boys longer to learn how to talk.
cheeks - no, he knows how to talk. he's just weird.
me - he's a boy honey. that's not gonna change. sorry, want some juice?

Tera said...

Lil' Magnum is a riot!!! Ha! And so is MrT!!!!

Me said...

Ooohhh, Mr. T! Hubba hubba!

"Labels; Awesome, Family"

I totally agree!

NoRegrets said...

MRT-hmmm....
Cyber-They are sooooo cute.