Tuesday, March 03, 2009

I'm about to jump ship


I've been watching Heroes from the the beginning. I got hooked early on and have really enjoyed the ride. I was even excited going into the fall season when others were saying it was done after the strike shortened season of a year ago.

I'll be the first to admit that I'm a fan-boy apologist. Meaning, once I embrace a program, I tend to stick with it through thick and thin. I tend to give a a great deal of latitude for it to screw up, become boring, and general suck up the screen. I'm also willing to give a show as mush as en entire season... sometimes two seasons before I pass final judgement. Hell, I'm watching Eureka, about to start season 4 and I still have decided if I like it.

Usually this patience is limited to science fiction and fantasy programing. I watched the first three episodes of Grey's Anatomy with my wife and told her "I'm OUT! This show sucks." Of course that may have been more of a chick-dude thing. Still, if it had been a chick-show with laser guns or dragons I probably would have given it more time.

Still, I'm proud of my sci-fi apologist stance on programing. Sometimes, given time you will find true gems. Farscape is a tremendous show that was cut down too soon. If more people had given it a chance, I am certain it would have been able to at least complete it's 5 year run.

However, I am sad to say that the last two episodes of Heroes has left me flat. I found myself saying, "Who the hell cares what happens to these ass-holes?" I'll not go into agonizing detail but one of the shows stars was put into a position where he had this season's villain dead to rights. The good guy could have put a bullet right between the bad guy's eyes. And guess what, he didn't do it! Whoop de freakin' do! You're such a good guy you aren't going to stoop to his level. How many times do we have to go over that ground. Heroes does it at least three times a season. After 4 seasons that's about 12 times too many.

For the first time I asked myself if I should give it up... I'm torn. Torn deep and I don't know what to do.

5 comments:

M. Robert Turnage said...

Thanks for reminding me that Heroes is still on the air.

Season 2 is the one that lost me. It took the Twin Peaks approach of not resolving any story, but instead introducing about 20 more story lines and hoping no one notices. Plus the pacing was slooooow. Painfully sloooow.

I kept hoping for a moment where someone would do something awesome, and I would go, "Daaaaamn! Boyeeeee!" Because those moments are what TV is all about for me.

heather said...

yep, i watch this one too. and like you i'm not feeling it so much anymore. it has till the end of this season before i abandon it for good to shape the hell up.

NoRegrets said...

I left it a long time ago. Can't give you any reasons not to jump.

James said...

Dude, my sentiments exactly. There are only three reasons I keep watching this show: HRG, Angela Petrelli, and Sylar. Those actors continue to overcome some really lame writing to salvage decent acting performances from crap material.

The only other reason I keep tuning in is that I am rooting for Mohinder to die. Becoming the Fly last season was the final straw, but in general he's the worst example of the way this show will compromise a character's core development to service whatever random storyline is unfolding at the moment. He's supposed to be some scientific genius but continues to contradict his own principles and pull colossally stupid stunts with alarming regularity.

The Parkman/Daphne romance is completely unbelievable too, partially because she can't act her way out of a wet paper sack. Don't get me started on how they've ruined Hiro. He serves no purpose in the story but comic relief at this point and fails at even that.

I agree with you completely about no longer being invested in these characters in the slightest. In season one, it seemed like this show had a grounded, multi-season overarching storyline that was going to unfold in fascinating fashion, much like Lost. Since season two began, it's become painfully clear that there was never a long-term plan for where this is headed or how it will get there. It's the transient hobo of prime time drama.

Cyber D said...

Tell me how you really feek, J-Dog!