Friday, November 09, 2007

Look Out! It's an Origin Story!!

I know Blog Country has wondered for years now how my off-spring came by their inter-web monikers of Lil' Magnum and Lil' Higgins. Some may believe it was random choice. Others might assume some secret code for a specific personality trait. I stand before you today to reveal the awful truth. Like the name of CyberD, their web-names were born out of a Quad moment.

It was the spring of 2004 when Dagromm, the illustrious Q, and I gathered for lunch at our favorite little whole-in-the-wall Mexican restaurant. As usual I ordered enchiladas and a glass of ice (as I always bring my own soda to the table). Q and Dagromm rolled their eyes at my B.Y.O.B policy before ordering fajitas for two and a single milk shake and one curly straw.

As I finished my tasty plate of spicy enchiladas and the Q and Dags teased each other over the last strip of Mexican beef, the conversation turned to the upcoming birth of my fist son. At the time Mrs. Cyber and I hadn't decided on his name so Q and Dags pushed hard for something suitably manly for a Quad off-spring. Dags warned me about naming my son something like Ashley or Leonard, lest he be the object of bully-hatred his entire life. I then jokingly said that not all children can grow up to be bad ass like Tom Sellek. Q than asked if I was referring to Magnum P.I. Tom Selleck or Quigley Down Under Tom Selleck because the Quigley Sellek was a little gay.

Dags immediately chimed in with the bombastic opinion that I name my son Magnum. Specifically Magnum Philonious Ignatius or Magnum P.I. for short. I reminded them that if I insisted on such a name, my wife would likely shoot me in the face while I slept. But they decided that my decision didn't matter. My first born child would always be Lil' Magnum to them. As you can see in the photo, Dags was never more serious. He gave Lil' Mag this shirt the day he was born. My son has now fully embraced the persona and occasionally tests the quality and thickness of his ongoing mustache like in this picture.

The Quad tips our hat to you, Lil' Magnum!

10 comments:

Tera said...

Love the shirt...did you airbrush it yourself Dagromm?

Dagromm said...

Tera - Let's just say that I know people. I don't know if you can make out where it says "Lil Magnum" on it.

Cyber D - No one in you family has ever looked so bad assed in the entire history of your family line. Your welcome.

Nate said...

That story needs more Gyuss.

Cyber D said...

move back and my stories will include more Gyuss.

Susan said...

Is that a bunny?

Cyber D said...

Susan, Indeed.

heather said...

a magnum bunny! gotta love it. and such a cutie to boot. :-)

MommyHeadache said...

had to come over and tell you how much I loved that story you just posted on Steph's site. I can just imagine you telling the police:
"Well, you know how some girls like to be strangled when you're doing them?"
Policeman: "No."
You:"I swear some girls like it. No I'm not insane. I wasn't trying to kill her. It's the only thing that gets her off."

I dunno it just kills me thinking about it

Steph said...

Ohh yeah, he's super cool. Very cute.

Cyber D said...

heather, bunnies are always cute.

emmak, we keep it real here at The Wheel.

steph, cool like The Fonz!