Thursday, March 06, 2008

Anatomy of a Geek


So what is a geek really? I find the whole definition of geek to be terribly interesting because we come in so many different shapes and sizes. Is it someone obsessed and adept with technology? Some are, but that is not me. I do okay but I'm no IT professional. Some say a geek is someone who uses hard-core academics to live their real world lives, like using multivariate math to bake a cake. That's not me. I can't even tolerate reading instructions. Finally there are those people who have a devotion to something that sets them apart from the mainstream. Ahhhh... that sounds more like it. Yep, I'm a Doctor Who fan. I read Lord of the Rings and have even attended a Star Wars convention. And yet I didn't collect comics when I was a child, I actually had girlfriends in high school, and I've never... EVER... let my hair grow past the top of my ears. So even though I can lose myself in the crowd at the national republican convention, what sets me apart from the throngs of boring white people? The answer is my inner geek.

Or should I say my inner story teller? I had planned a post about my geek origins for some time and it seems like the death of Gary Gygax is fitting enough timing, partly because it was his influence that offered me my first look into a shared experience of creative story telling. You see it all started at the tender age of ten years old. My two best friends, who lived down the street, introduced me to the wonderful game of Dungeons & Dragons. I was immediately captivated by it. It was like my mind came alive with possibilities as I entered another universe where I could help to shape its outcome.


At that time in my life, I was like many young boys who loved cartoons, action figures, and pretty much anything that could delight and entertain. Ironically enough it is around this time that many children begin to see the perils of conformity looming ahead. Junior High was just around the corner and I had no idea the lengths to which society could go to squash a child's unbridled creativity. I am happy to say that I was one of the lucky ones. After being introduced to role playing games, when my two friends and I would get together, we would play nothing else for the next three years. It is hard to articulate that feeling of first being exposed to a game that literally required only a pencil, some paper, and your imagination. To this day I still have memories of those early adventures and the images that it evoked in my own mind. Those were formative times because it helped me appreciate and find the joy in creating something from nothing. In fact it was so rewarding that I refused to relinquish my grip on it.

The summer I turned thirteen I moved away from the only place I had ever known as home. I would see my two best friends from time to time over the next few years but I wouldn't play Dungeons and Dragons with any regularity for a very long time. I moved hundreds of miles away to a place where I knew no one. But I didn't let that squash my inner geek, because just prior to my move I had been introduced to a funky little British TV show called Doctor Who.


To Be Continued...

10 comments:

Dagromm said...

I absolutely LOVED the red box Basic Set!!! I had wanted to play for years when I got mine and I must have taken it everywhere with me for the next two years. I don't know where it disappeared to, but it is sorely missed.

I remember sitting for months with this set reading it and re-reading it, because I didn't have friends near enough to me to play it with. I created characters, did the solo adventure multiple times, and just thought about the possibilities. Wow, I'm writing too much. I might have to make this a post myself.

M. Robert Turnage said...

This is weird, but I really liked the smell of the old D&D books.

I can't wait until you get to the part in your geek history where you accidentally froze yourself in carbonite. That story is a classic.

Nate said...

That red box set does rock the memories. How cool are dice that you have to color with crayons?

Don't worry if you think you are mis-applying the Geek name. The only thing geekier than Doctor Who fans are Furries.

Cyber D said...

Dags, I had a simliar experiance after moving away. I'd make all kinds of characters and reply the solo adventure. That's when I started getting into those choose your own adventure books. Not as good as the RPG but it was all I had for a time. I remember times just looking at that red cover and imagining if the warrior was going to take out the dragon or if the dragon would get him first.

Roberto, welcome to the weird club. and if by carbonite you mean totally made it with all the hot babes on campus than YES!

G, yes, i remember coloring those dice!

Me said...

Dagromm, that's totally what I'm about to do. I've read all this good stuff long enough. Y'all done brought me out! (I mean, yes I play D&D every Friday, still, but now I will have to show pictures.

It's funny, but I never really exposed my inner geek at the blog where Q (and his constellation) has met me. It's time!

Cyber, I can't wait to hear more about your adventures with The Doctor. I see you in parallel to me, both of us as kids laying on our bellies, chin in hands, staring up at the screen, not believing our eyes at the danger Sarah Jane is in.

Here's a stark memory--In Genesis of the Daleks, Sarah Jane and some indigent guy climbing this scaffolding to get to the underside of a city dome on Skaro. I have no Unearthly idea WHY she needed to get up there, but up they climbed. I think they were being pursued and shot at. Me, I'm holding my breath. When suddenly..
The indigent falls screaming to his death, right past the horrorfied Sarah Jane!! I'm like, o crap!!

Seconds later ... SARAH JANE FALLS!!! Stop motion, freeze frame!! Sarah Jane in midair!! EPISODE ENDS!!!

I'm like WHAT?!?!!!!

Good times!!

Cyber D said...

Alan, exposing my inner geek is about the only thing I have done on this blog. It's what I do best, since I keep him bottled up most of the time in the real world. I'm jealous that you play D&D every weekend. Q, Dagromm, and I live within thirty miles of each other and we only get together once a year.

Regarding DW... You'll enjoy part 2 of this three part saga the most. Genesis of the Daleks ranks in my top 5 of all time favorite classic doctor who episodes. I've actually purchased that one on dvd... who am I kidding I've purchased ever DVD release thus far. I know the scene well and also remember from my childhood. my favorite cliff-hanger of all is the Caves of Androzani when Doctor 5 is about to crash-land the spaceship down on Androzani Minor.

heather said...

g! i am shocked! furries are in no way geeks! that's just a weird-ass turn on for creepy people. geeks aren't necessarily creepy. furries are.

cyber, you're making me wish i had played d&d as a kid. as much as i got into as a kid and as a teen i never once knew of anyone who played though. somehow i made it through life without that experience.

i feel as though i've missed out on something incredible.

Tera said...

I must confess, I have an "inner geek" myself. Yet, I am not an IT guru (I mean I know enough)...I am however mathematically inclined in most aspects of what I do on a daily basis. My analness (like that huh...how I totally didn't include the word retentive?) when it comes to grammar may also have geekish tendencies.

NoRegrets said...

Obviously at Susan's wedding there will need to be a D&D session also to deflower Heather.

heather said...

WOW! whodda thunk it? there's still a way for me to be deflowered! lol

(i'm sure my mother will be relieved to hear it.)