Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Anatomy of a Geek - Part 2


So there I was, a nervous thirteen year old kid in a new town with the daunting task of making new friends. I'd like to say it was easy but it wasn't. To make a long story short, my junior high years were a bit lonely for me but I found comfort in the escapism of storytelling. Unfortunately Dungeons & Dragons is a communal experience and that was in short supply, but I looked elsewhere for enjoyment and found it in Choose Your Own Adventure Books as well as my first attempts to write. I believe these years were the years that I learned the love of writing. At that time it was essentially the equivalent of playing an RPG for me. What I didn't realize was that writing is really the original RPG. If these activities weren't enough to solidify my geek credentials than my television habits surely sealed the deal.


Prior to leaving my childhood home I was introduced to the television show Doctor Who. My first exposure was in the form of an RPG (go figure). After playing D&D every day for years, my friends and I branched off into all variety of knock-off role playing game and the one we loved most was Doctor Who. I then learned it was based on the British television show and started watching from time to time. After moving away, Doctor Who went from being a "time to time" occurrence to a weekly occurrence of watching recording and cataloging episodes. I can't stress the geek importance of cataloging episodes because it was those in-between days when I made good use of my collection and thus spawned my penchant for collecting. Since that time I have collected all manner of geek item from videos, to metal soldiers, to collectible toys, and more. But I digress. I have friends that make fun of my love of Who, and I'm no dummy. I can see the wobbly sets, the over-acting, and the occasional flimsy story line, but I essentially forgive those things out of respect for what Doctor Who was for me at that time in my life and to a larger extant what Doctor Who did for the science fiction and fantasy genre as a whole. Like other kids, I have tremendously fond memories of watching each new story unfold before me, amazed at the never ending cornucopia of aliens, enemies, allies, and plot lines that dated back more than twenty years! That history and longevity was like a warm blanket of consistency for a child who was growing up and learning, like most other young people, that most things in life are fleeting.


Then came the summer of 1989 when my local PBS station stopped carrying the increasingly expensive Who serials. Needless to say I was extremely disappointed but timing is everything and it just so happened that my friendship circle widened to include two guys that I still call friends today. We grew up together between 10th grade and high school graduation. We learned how to drive cars, relate to girls, and formed strong bonds that I still cherish. I put aside Doctor Who, and Dungeons & Dragons, and Star Wars, and metal soldiers in exchange for the fast times of high school life. But unlike many of my peers, I never felt that I compromised my own personal set of values despite the avalanche of temptation to do so. I have no doubt in my mind that this was due to great parenting but also to a long-standing commitment of being true to myself, established early on by my unashamed love of my geekier side.

The fall of 1992 brought with it another big move as I embarked on my college years and an opportunity to fold together my every-man lifestyle with my inner geek.


To Be Concluded...

9 comments:

M. Robert Turnage said...

See, I'm glad you're writing it instead of me, because I tend to embellish.

For example, my concluding paragraph would be as such:

The fall of 1992 brought with it a drastic turn when I was frozen in carbonite and sold to a bounty hunter. That story will be finished in the exciting conclusion to be posted in two years, but here's a teaser - it involves a woman in a gold bikini.

Tera said...

Wow what a history! Hmmm...1992, that year holds so many memories for me...perhaps I'll blog about it sometime soon!

M. You totally crack me up!

Dagromm said...

I applaud you steadfastly sticking by Dr. Who as it has given the rest of us something to laugh about. Thank you.

heather said...

i never did quite get the hang of making friends. i had a few here and there but nothing lifelong. other than books and tv. escapism can be a good thing.

Nate said...

The cataloging and the collecting.
That is such a key part of geekdom. Completing sets, ordering, continuity. All vital.

Cyber D said...

Robbie, It's all about speaking truth here at The Wheel.

Tera, I can't wait to read it.

Dags, I live to serve.

Heather, Ever since my move in 1987 it has taken me all this time to realize that I can be a good judge of character and that I can make decerning friendships.

G-Dog, I know... it's a definate requirement. But have you ever felt the post traumatic empty feeling after having completed a set? It's very odd.

Dagromm said...

My personal favorite Choose Your Own Adventure was Return to Brookmere, but Dungeon of Dread was fair as well.

Cyber D said...

Dags, in researching the Endless Quest books to find a decent pic for my post, I came across many old favorites as well as releases that I never knew exhisted. I do remember Brookmere as well as something about a Rainbow Dragon.

Susan said...

I was reading these comments and swear for a minute I thought the last one said "Rainbow Brite". I had this sudden ill feeling because I thought there was a RB RPG and I missed out when I was younger.


At least you don't have a huge collection of She-Ra dolls still in their boxes along with the collectable books in an airtight container in your basement. Dr. Who has to be cooler than that.